338 Sherman Brass

CjC73

So I should be getting my 338 Sherman back in a couple weeks. Then put on a trigger, a scope and into a stock and it should be ready to go.

So, I need some brass. RWS i hear is the best brass to start with then Norma (which i cannot find anywhere). How does Nosler brass stack up ( I found some 270Win for $59/100).
I'll be ordering dies here probably later tonight

What's the process for getting 270 brass to 338 Sherman?

I started with nosler in my 270 sherman. It's soft and they trim it under minimum specs for 270 win so after forming it was like .015" short of ideal. I was not impressed. I think I'd use rem or win before the nosler again in that particular case size. I got some rws eventually

So I should be getting my 338 Sherman back in a couple weeks. Then put on a trigger, a scope and into a stock and it should be ready to go.

So, I need some brass. RWS i hear is the best brass to start with then Norma (which i cannot find anywhere). How does Nosler brass stack up ( I found some 270Win for $59/100).
I'll be ordering dies here probably later tonight

What's the process for getting 270 brass to 338 Sherman?
Norma brass is normally available on line. Im not big on Nosler, its overpriced for how soft it is. You form it by necking it up and then jam a bullet and reduce load by about 8-10%.
You can also use the c o w method with shotgun powder.
The best method might be to neck up to 35 and then partial neck size back to 338 leaving a false shoulder to head space off of.

Norma brass is normally available on line. Im not big on Nosler, its overpriced for how soft it is. You form it by necking it up and then jam a bullet and reduce load by about 8-10%.
The best method might be to neck up to 35 and then partial neck size back to 338 leaving a false shoulder to head space off of.

Huntingtons has RWS brass. $36/20.

What would be the best way to neck up to 35? Then use the 338 Sherman die to just size half the neck down to 338?

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in this endeavor. So please excuse my dumb questions. i just want to be certain when i do this.

Yeah I got mine from huntingtons a year or two ago. Had to call in a back order and wait until they got a shipment in at that time. I've heard good things on the Norma though too. I use the Sinclair neck expander die and do it in steps to neck up then, yes neck back down with the sherman die. That's a long ways though to go from .270-.35 then back down. May want to anneal them after you're done also. There's plenty of fancy tools out there for it but I still just use the drill and map torch method.

What's the reasoning behind necking up to 35 and then back down to 338? Neck length?

Here's an example for the 6.5 Sherman. On the left is a 270 win case necked up to .284 and then sized down to .264 to create the false shoulder to headspace off of. You'll have to play with the die until you size enough of the neck down to get a nice crush fit when you chamber. On the right is a fire formed case.

68773088-8253-4E6A-940E-D4476427E04E.jpeg

So neck up 270 to 35 and then run it thru the 338 Sherman die to neck it down half way down the neck?

Did I read wrong on your website that you had brass for the 338 SS? I could just be wishful thinking....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.