338 RUM Loads

Long Time Long Ranger

Many people ask me about loading for the 338 RUM since I worked with it quite a bit at my range back in 2001 when it came out. So I decided to put up the best loads I have found for it.

300 grain SMK- 92 grains of H-1000 and 95 grains of Retumbo are on average about where you will end up as the best loads. With 28 and 30 inch barrels they average a little over 2800 fps. I have not tried any new batches of H-1000 so wouldn't know about some people claiming the burn rate is now different and they have to go down on their loads. My loads are with the old H-1000. Start 2-3 grains below this and work up.

225 Accubond- 97-98.5 grains of RE-25 is the best I have found. Velocity will average around 3200 fps to near 3300 fps in some rifles.

I tried the 265 Barnes and got exceptional results with it. The BC with it and some other Barnes bullets I worked with seem to be higher than listed. It is extremely accurate at long range shooting and is easily capable of making hits well beyond the range capability of most shooters. This is a huge plus since it is a fantastic premium hunting bullet. Accuracy loads hit between 2900 and 3000 fps out of a 26" barrel with H-1000 and Retumbo. Some loads went over 3000 fps. These were only tested in my remington 700 factory rifle. H-1000 from 94-96 grains and Retumbo from 96.5-99 grains shot very well in this rifle. Since this is the only rifle I have shot these loads in just start at my low end and work up in your rifle. The Barnes shot best off the lands which is where I shoot all my Barnes bullets.

Hope this helps some guys with this cartridge.

Thanks LTLR, I'll print this of and send the link to my buddy. Very helpful for sure and the bullets and powders we are looking at using to boot.

Thanks LTLR!
I've got a factory barreled 700 that shoots lights out with the 225 AB and have a Lilja barreled one in the works. I'm looking forward to trying some other bullets in it. Now I have a good place to start.:D

Thanks, I use mostly Federal 215 match primers in all the big magnums I shoot. Some I use cci 250's in. I do not have my data handy right now to answer for sure but that is a good question and very important so I should have listed that also while I was at it. I will also get the oal for you. I did this in a hurry for general terms what the cartridge can be expected to do and left out vital info. I also have data on the new 185 Barnes ttsx which is an exceptional bullet if most of your hunting is inside a half mile or so. I prefer it in rifles set up this way. I had several accuracy loads in the 3500's with the 185 ttsx in a factory 26" rifle. The BC is better than stated.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.