.338 rcm

It has been a great little cartridge and is very handy in the little MOD 7. I have very good accuracy and have found nothing It would not drop in there tracks.

As I said earlier, I am not a big fan of compact/light rifles, but for this application I had to make some concessions, Surprisingly, I am enjoying it and use it often. I have a low power, light weight scope that works well for nighttime hog hunting and there are no second shots required. I would not hesitate to use it on bear or elk.

The longest shot I have made so far with it was just under 300 yards, (Just a chip shot for it) and have no doubts that it will kill at much longer distances.

J E CUSTOM

I looked up the case capacity of the rcm vs the wsm, and there is only a very small difference... not enough to make much of a difference in the real world.

I still can't believe you are able to manage your rifle being so light. My rifle shooting 250 grain accubonds was right on the border of unmanageable shooting from a bench. I can't imagine what yours is like shooting any of the big bullets!

It's fun seeing other people interested in these "little" 338's. They really are are useful rifles in certain situations as you have pointed out. And they can shoot when we do our part. My longest shot on an elk to date is 630 yards with my little 338... ironically, the closest shot i've made on an elk is with my big 338 RUM at 15 yards. Go figure.

There is another advantage to the 338 RCM or the 30 RCM for that matter. RCMs fit past all feed rails on rifles, something the wsms with its larger diameter base may not do.

Is the main reason you're going 338 RCM over 338 WSM to fit better into the slightly shorter remington short action?

I have a 338 WSM built on a model 70 short action, and it's just a fun little gun. It is my understanding, which could be wrong, that the WSM case has a bit more case capacity... but you guys are all stating performance levels beyond what I am able to get out of my 338wsm with a 24" barrel. Maybe it's just that I"m using H4350 and not RL17? Or I must be missing something about the capability of the RCM case...

Anyways, this is a cool thread. JE Custom, I would love to see your lightweight 338 RCM. My wsm weighs in a touch under 8 lbs fully outfitted, and it's a beast to shoot. I can't imagine what yours would be like at darn near 2 lbs lighter!

The Mod 7 action is over a half inch shorter overall than the "Short" action 700 and has a shorter bolt. But the mag length Is the same so it will handle any of the standard short action rounds. It can be used for the WSMs and SAUMs as well.

Recoil was manageable but when fired it ended up pointing up at about 11 o'clock and second follow
up shots on other game was difficult and slow so I added a ported brake (No top holes) and the problem went away, plus the recoil was reduced from 42 ft/lbs to 18 ft/lbs of recoil energy.

I also added a laminate stock that up the weight to over 6.5 Pounds.

J E CUSTOM

I am a fan of the .338-06, so when the .338 RCM came out I was, and still am blown away by it! When it came out you could buy the Ruger Hawkeye SS with the 22" barrel, and I'm glad I did! Mine loves the 225's, and recoil is comparable to my .308. The effect this round has on game is outstanding, and you can hunt out to 400 yards with it too!

I am a fan of the .338-06, so when the .338 RCM came out I was, and still am blown away by it! When it came out you could buy the Ruger Hawkeye SS with the 22" barrel, and I'm glad I did! Mine loves the 225's, and recoil is comparable to my .308. The effect this round has on game is outstanding, and you can hunt out to 400 yards with it too!

Also Hornady still makes ammo for the .338 RCM you can buy it online! I bought 340 rounds and that's plenty for me on one hunting rifle.

This thread is three years old. Let it rest in peace.

Why ?
It is a great cartridge and fills a nitch like no other. I still use mine and can appreciate
others that are interested in it and looking for a power house in a small package. With proper loading it can closely match the 338 Win Mag in a compact cartridge/rifle.

PS: there are threads that are still active that are over 15 years old. Good information is never dead.

J E CUSTOM

a short action with a long barrel? What's the point/purpose/gain? My .338 is a WM with a 22" barrel, 2742fps with a 225g AB. No way I would trade that for a short action with a 27" barrel.

I hear you, but I wanted something as short as I felt the cartridge needed and very light weight. The model 7 action is 1/2" shorter than a short action Remington, so the total length is very short.

I built mine with a 24" barrel and with the Mod 7 action and it should be about the same length as your 338 Win Mag with the 22" barrel and the long action, and squeeze out a few more ft/sec. Mine does just under 2800 ft/sec with the 225's and 2940 with the 200 grain bullets Just below SAMMI pressures. Factory 225 ammo does 2750 ft/sec in my barrel.

The Win Mag definitely has an advantage with 250 to 300 grain bullets. But I was impressed with the velocities with 180. 200 and 225 grain bullets.

For the really big 338 bullets (300 +) I built/designed a wild cat called the 338 Texan that will go well over 3000 ft/sec with a 300 grain bullet. A good friend has a 338 Texan that he was able to get over 3100 ft/sec with. So I am covered with the two 338's.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.