.338 Edge / .338 Diablo / .338-300Rum

sebastian3784

I have just built a .338 Diablo (our name for the edge) and need any load data that others have thus far developed. Any help would be appreciated.

Shawn,

What load do you use for 250 gr bullets. I am thinking the likes of a 250 gr Nosler PT.

JD338

I have not shot 250 grain bullets for years but used RL-25 and again start at 90 grains you would probably top out at 95-97 grains depending on the individual chamber etc. I hear Retumbo also works well with the 250's but haven't used it yet.

Shawn

Shawn,

Did you ever do anything more w/the US869?? Seems like I remember you thinking that you were going to get another 100-150 fps out of it and the 300 gr SMK.

I shoot an Edge built by Shawn Carlock and use: Rem. Brass, CCI 250 primers, 92.0 gr. H1000, and 300 gr. SMK.

Shawn I know we have talked about Accubonds before, would this be a good 750 yard and less hunting load for me to use: Rem. Brass, CCI 250 primers, 102.0 gr. H1000, and 225 Accubonds? It looks like others are using this same load.

Thanks

Thanks Shawn,

Although the 250 gr PT doesn't have the high BC like the SMK's, a .473 BC should still make a respectable LR hammer out to the 1/2 mile mark with reliable expansion and penetration. A 250 gr Accubond would be sweet!

JD338

seebass, have you done a search on this forum for the loads you're after? It's been posted here before but to save you time, try this link:http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...rt=all&vc=1 Think that might work, not to sure 'bout this 'puter thingy. And by the way, is this what you've done with that shiny new Sendero, or did you put something else together? Stan do the work? Curious, 'cos I just picked up a new Sendero in .300 Ultra and am (still) waiting on a 30 inch .338 tube from krieger, heavy palma contour, fluted, stainless. Geez, what am I going to do with this stuff? Anyhow, have fun building a load. If you get a chance post some details of the rifle build.

The US865 was good for 2950-3000 fps in my rifle, but the ES was not that good. For me personely I'll take 2850 with single digit ES from the H1000 load. In all fairness though, I did not play with it much only one primer etc.

JD,

No need to wish for a 250 NAB (wish for a 280 gr). The 225 NAB @ 800 vs the 250 NP, the NAB flys about 3 MOA flatter, drifts less in the wind and retains about 200 ft/lb more than the NP. Just something to thinmk about.

Quite impressive! We need to keep reminding Nosler that there is a need for the heavier AB in 338 cal.

Thanks for the reply Shawn.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.