338 RCM

Do you feel as though the 175 Hammers have better terminal performance over the 185 Barnes you used to whitetail hunt with?
I would have to say yes. I've had more DRT shots with the Hammers using meat saver shots. I suspect that the petals breaking off and becoming secondary projectiles are adding to the internal destruction and shock. Post mortem on the Barnes deer, the lungs looked like a blender blade went thru them. I also get much better accuracy with the hammers.

I would have to say yes. I've had more DRT shots with the Hammers using meat saver shots. I suspect that the petals breaking off and becoming secondary projectiles are adding to the internal destruction and shock. Post mortem on the Barnes deer, the lungs looked like a blender blade went thru them. I also get much better accuracy with the hammers.
They certainly are extremely accurate bullets in most rifles; I have done several load work ups with them in various calibers in the past. But I've only ever taken one deer with them using the 177 grain Hammer Hunter from a 28 nosler. It didn't knock him over like I was expecting; he stood there staggering around for a few seconds and then fell which is just as good though. I have used 338 win mag with 225's and with 180 ballistic tips on a few deer in my younger days and none of them took a step that's for sure. So a lighter weight bullet for another 338 deer thumper shot from this next build that I have coming in is what I'm interested in doing and why I was asking. I appreciate the info Seabeeken.

Have you tried H4350? In my 22" 338SS I am using 63.5 grains with 210 Barnes ttsx, F210M, at 2.830 OAL, shot 2850 avg today.

I'd really like to try the 213 hammer hunters once I swap on a DBM with an accurate mag.

Have you tried H4350? In my 22" 338SS I am using 63.5 grains with 210 Barnes ttsx, F210M, at 2.830 OAL, shot 2850 avg today.

I'd really like to try the 213 hammer hunters once I swap on a DBM with an accurate mag.
I don't know if you're asking me or one of the other members, but I haven't tried H4350 yet. The 213 Hammer Hunter should be a fantastic choice for the RCM or any of the 338bSherman wildcats. Interesting enough that you mentioned the 338SS; I have a good opportunity to change the caliber of my RCM build into 338 Sherman Mega. After much discussion with Rich and my gunsmith about this, I've decided to try this new caliber out. I love my Ruger 338 RCM and plan on keeping it always, but upgrading this next build to getting another 150-200 fps and my gunsmith having the 338 Mega on hand right now I just can't pass up that opportunity. I'll be posting my results and pictures of the new rifle in the Sherman Mega thread once it arrives a couple weeks from now.

I don't know if you're asking me or one of the other members, but I haven't tried H4350 yet. The 213 Hammer Hunter should be a fantastic choice for the RCM or any of the 338bSherman wildcats. Interesting enough that you mentioned the 338SS; I have a good opportunity to change the caliber of my RCM build into 338 Sherman Mega. After much discussion with Rich and my gunsmith about this, I've decided to try this new caliber out. I love my Ruger 338 RCM and plan on keeping it always, but upgrading this next build to getting another 150-200 fps and my gunsmith having the 338 Mega on hand right now I just can't pass up that opportunity. I'll be posting my results and pictures of the new rifle in the Sherman Mega thread once it arrives a couple weeks from now.
Sorry, yes, that was meant for you. I read through this thread and seen you went through similar things as me when trying the 250 Berger. Once I dropped to a lower grain bullet things really came together for me. I also had better luck when switching from a Federal 215 down to a 210. I think the mega sized case would do better with the 250 Berger , or some of the monos on the larger side. I'm super happy with my 338SS as it is now. Will be looking forward to how you make out with your 338 mega.

So since switching to VV powders, I finally got around to testing the 338 RCM.
338 RCM, Ruger Alaskan, 20", 9.75 twist, 175 HH, 2.8" COL, Unis Ginex LR primer, 73 degrees, 2910 elevation
VV N-140
58.8 gr, 2828 fps, .888 group, shooter error, 1ES
59.1 gr, 2832 fps, .299 group, 3 ES
59.4 gr, 2862 fps, .322 group, 18 ES. Light bolt swipe so stopped here. Primers looked good

I am reviving this thread to see if anyone knows if its possible to make 338 rcm brass from some other caliber brass? I have been kicking around the idea of a 338 fed or 338 rcm but the rcm brass seems to be unobtainium

I am reviving this thread to see if anyone knows if its possible to make 338 rcm brass from some other caliber brass? I have been kicking around the idea of a 338 fed or 338 rcm but the rcm brass seems to be unobtainium
I looked into this myself. While I have plenty to 338 RCM brass it can be a seasonal run by Hornady and hard to find. What I found was the 6.5 prc is based on the 300RCM case, just necked down. Necking from 6.5 to 338 is quite a bit though and I have not yet tried to do it but it is about all there is to work with. It's funny the 6.5 prc is so popular being based on the 300rcm which never caught on. It is all about marketing I guess. Attached are the CIP drawing for the cartridges for your review.

Attachments

• 6-5-prc-180709 CIP.pdf
    23.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 338-rcm CIP.pdf
    22.6 KB · Views: 30
1711290144460.png

https://www.gunwerks.com/shop/pt-f3...rass-unprimed-338-rcm-22196?category=55#attr=

I had quite a bit of both the 300/338 RCM brass and ammunition but on a whim of doing some organizing, I sold it all off.

Personally, I would recommend using brass in stock currently in a similar case and style capacity. You can modify 6.5 PRC, 6.5 mm SAUM, 7mm SAUM or just plain run with the .300 WSM necked up for the .338 bullets. I load for the .338 WSM for hunting rifles using original factory brass head stamped .338 WSM but this hasn't been available for 20 some years or more.

Or just buy the Hornady as posted.

😊

This is what I got when I added 100 to the cart:

Oops! Something went wrong.

Take a look at the error message below.

Error message:
The following customer(s) need to have a zip, state and country when using Avatax:
- Public User (ID: 5) on SO104130

Last edited:
View attachment 556979

https://www.gunwerks.com/shop/pt-f3...rass-unprimed-338-rcm-22196?category=55#attr=

I had quite a bit of both the 300/338 RCM brass and ammunition but on a whim of doing some organizing, I sold it all off.

Personally, I would recommend using brass in stock currently in a similar case and style capacity. You can modify 6.5 PRC, 6.5 mm SAUM, 7mm SAUM or just plain run with the .300 WSM necked up for the .338 bullets. I load for the .338 WSM for hunting rifles using original factory brass head stamped .338 WSM but this hasn't been available for 20 some years or more.

Or just buy the Hornady as posted.

😊
Not familiar with them....legit?