338 RCM swap for a 338-06

RCMSTER

I'm mulling this idea over. I have a 338 RCM, but dang, brass is getting way expensive, and I only have 70 pieces of new and 50 that I'm currently loading. I'm sure I could get at least $1200 on gunbroker for it, and there is a Winchester 70 rebarreled to 338-06 for $700. Brass is available, ammo is available, or I can make brass easy enough. Wondering what people's opinions would be on going this route, or just hanging tight with my RCM.

but dang, brass is getting way expensive

All brass is expensive currently. Some is just more so due to lack of support and lack of purchasing. The RCM cases or cartridges were never very popular so most production of the brass is what they refer to as 'seasonal' or whenever they get around to and can charge enough to make make the profit they want. Remington has been holding shooters hostage for decades over the 6.5 and .350 Remington Magnum brass.

Simple deduction:

If you're happy with your current .338 RCM, keep it and do some intensive shopping for the brass supply that will keep you comfortable. Make sure the barrel is worth the effort.

Switching out rifles because brass for the original is a little more expensive, is a low level idea in my opinion although the M70 and .338-06 is a positive acquisition in my opinion.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Bite the bullet and stock up on new brass for the RCM while it is still available. If you're not willing to do that, sell it and buy the 338-06. 30-06 brass will be available for the rest of your life.
The 338 RCM may not hold it's resale value in the future if brass becomes difficult or impossible to find.
Either way, have fun hunting and kill some big bucks. 😁

Go for the .338-08 - zippo difference in ballistics, .338 RCM, - short powder column & sharp shoulders negligible value in hunting weapon. Lots of .30.-06 brass avail. I COW fireformed my .30-06 brass to get nice concentric necks & used a variety of bullets in 200-215 grain weight with powders like H4895, IMR 4350, Varget, & RL 15. I achieved remarkable ballistic performance with the double base RL 15 powder with 200 grain bullets.

The .338 RCM is an example of ballistic marketing effort designed effort to sell a trendy item, then taking no responsibility to provide adequate support like brass availability.

Frequent practice with a hunting weapon improves ability and continuous searching for brass to shoot is a major PIA.

I really have no opinion either way, my own 338-06 does everything I need it too when I'm not hunting LR, it is one of the best medium bore rifles, great bullet selection, SD suits the velocity very well and is extremely accurate. The only caveat is that it has none!

Cheers.

The RCM isn't exactly a normal range toy. How much do you really shoot it? If you figure a minimum of 5 reloads per piece of brass and you've got 120, for a hunting only rig, that's close to a quarter or more of the barrel life right there. Pick up another 100 when you see them next and it's a lifetime supply for a hunting only rifle.

I believe it is the the only commercially loaded 338 short mag. That said, you would hope it would be supported for some time.
Fireforming takes components. 338 RCM brass though expensive is available. You have to see which one offsets if any.

I did a 338 Wildcat on a .473 bolt face and can get higher velocities, but just do not get the accuracy there. Gun is a bit less "handy" as it is a long action. Fireforming is a PITA and eats components. 338 pills are not cheap either. Looking at Midway, Lapua 30-06 brass when not on sale is about $1.40 a case, Norma $1.28 a case. Hornady 338 RCM is about $1.76 a case, when they have it. Price is negligible when you are not having to burn up powder and even the more "prized" primers to form your cases, and that is every time you break out a new box. I just fireformed another 50 Peterson 280ai and powder isn't the big deal, but primers are tough to just blow away. All that said, it shoots well now that I got it all sorted.

You have it, keep it and save up for another. But I would do it with a prefit type and make it my own. When the RCM barrel burns out, maybe make it another of the short mags.

Or sell it and get what you want...you will only be satisfied with what you want. I get bored and change stuff up often...rich people problems right.

I believe it is the the only commercially loaded 338 short mag. That said, you would hope it would be supported for some time.
Fireforming takes components. 338 RCM brass though expensive is available. You have to see which one offsets if any.

I did a 338 Wildcat on a .473 bolt face and can get higher velocities, but just do not get the accuracy there. Gun is a bit less "handy" as it is a long action. Fireforming is a PITA and eats components. 338 pills are not cheap either. Looking at Midway, Lapua 30-06 brass when not on sale is about $1.40 a case, Norma $1.28 a case. Hornady 338 RCM is about $1.76 a case, when they have it. Price is negligible when you are not having to burn up powder and even the more "prized" primers to form your cases, and that is every time you break out a new box. I just fireformed another 50 Peterson 280ai and powder isn't the big deal, but primers are tough to just blow away. All that said, it shoots well now that I got it all sorted.

You have it, keep it and save up for another. But I would do it with a prefit type and make it my own. When the RCM barrel burns out, maybe make it another of the short mags.

Or sell it and get what you want...you will only be satisfied with what you want. I get bored and change stuff up often...rich people problems right.
Back in my younger days, I'd buy a rifle, shoot it a while, then either trade it or sell it for something else. There's a few guns I definitely wished I had back. Now I struggle to get rid of anything, even if I don't need/use it. And the fact that almost all of my guns are weird/oddball/rare/ or not made any longer makes the choice even tougher. I doubt I could ever wear out the barrel of my 338 RCM considering I don't shoot it a bunch. More than likely, I will just keep it. It is so dang handy with the 20" barrel, and is so incredibly accurate for an only slightly enhanced factory rifle that to actually go through with moving it down the road, I think, would ultimately be a mistake.

The way things are these days,I think common cartridges are really the best way to go.The 30-06 will never die and you can always make 338-06 brass out of it.I have a bunch of once-fired brass that I use.It cost me a mere $.18 to my door.I use it for my 30-06's,338-06 and 35 Whelen.New cartridges come out that are supposedly just a wee better,but quickly die out because sales didn't live up to the manufactures dreams.The owner is left with a rifle that you cannot find brass for or it's very expensive.If it doesn't make the manufacturer money,they are not going to produce it or production will be very limited.So this is somethings to think about when purchasing a rifle.

The way things are these days,I think common cartridges are really the best way to go.The 30-06 will never die and you can always make 338-06 brass out of it.I have a bunch of once-fired brass that I use.It cost me a mere $.18 to my door.I use it for my 30-06's,338-06 and 35 Whelen.New cartridges come out that are supposedly just a wee better,but quickly die out because sales didn't live up to the manufactures dreams.The owner is left with a rifle that you cannot find brass for or it's very expensive.If it doesn't make the manufacturer money,they are not going to produce it or production will be very limited.So this is somethings to think about when purchasing a rifle.
Sadly, I believe you are correct. The last 338 RCM brass I seen on gunbroker sold for more than 3 bucks a piece. Craziness.

6.5 PRC is pretty much just a necked down 338 RCM. Brass should be readily available and simple to form.

When I had my common, ordinary .338-06 my loading procedure involved:

Buy 100 rounds or more of high quality .30-06 once fired brass- about $33 including USPS priority shipping per 100.

Run the lubricated brass thru the .338-06 F/L die with no decap pin & expander& set the die so there is a .005 gap between top of shell holder & bottom of die - use a feeler gauge. This will increase cartridge length at datum point in shoulder enabling a slight crush fit.

COW fire form with pistol powder and any kind of large primer. I used 9.5 grains of HP38 & some CCI 300 & 350 primers. This will blow out the neck to fit the chamber & assure concentricity.

Resize with .338-06 F/L die with expander, Annealing could be considered after this.

Trim brass to specs. Check neck wall thickness.

Load with working combo of primer, powder, & bullet.

About 3 hours of fussing will produce 100 rounds.

I had a real nice .338-06 built on a FN Mauser with a Lilja .338, 10 twist, #3 barrel, Timney trigger, and stock designed by a well-known established rifle maker - his name was inscribed on the barrel with caliber. The scope was a 6X40 Burris Signature mounted on Warne bases and some brand of medium 1-inch rings. I could have re-barreled it to 6.5-06, .243, or 6mm Rem but the .338 barrel was too nice to replace. I decided to sell it at a reasonable price so somebody else could enjoy shooting deers & elks with it. It sold within 2 days, consignment at a FFL. Hitting steel at 400 yards with the 200 SST was satisfying, trajectory much like a .308 with 150's.

Should a major auto or appliance maker decline to produce replacement parts for their products in a short time this would likely be grounds for a FTC complaint - like don't promote something that might cause some temporary economic setback should support be required.