Savage 338 Lapua barrel swap

It was smart of you to ask the question, most people just drive right ahead. That being said, even if you had a large shank Lapua action I think this is one of those times where just because you can do it it doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. I've seen lug setbacks and threads deform on savages so badly you couldn't unscrew the barrel in as little as 500 rounds. Truth is there's only two 700 size actions I personally would trust to hold up to a Lapua long term, the Defiance Deviant Tactical and the Terminus Zeus. With the powder capacity of a Lapua, you're basically putting your cheek in front of a hand grenade and setting it off. You want as much strength between you and it as you can get.
Thanks

Looking for info on a Savage 338 Lapua barrel swap. It has a large shank. I have a 110 7mm but it takes a small shank, also have a couple of 338 WM Sako and Ruger M77. Am I better off turning down the barrel and rethreading it down to small shank or looking for an action that works. Any ideas on what actions accept savage barrels. Any info helpful. THANKS
As far as a Savage barrel swap it is pretty easy just buy the barrel that matches the shank that you have- I rebarreled my 300 win mag to a 338 win mag, hind sight being what it is probably should have went with a 33 Nosler, but the 338 win has been fun.

Recent Posts