338-06 Barrel for Savage

dawg4life

hey guys, I'm looking at buying a used savage 30-06 (found a good deal) but I already have 3 30-06's that my Grandfather's gave me so they are keepsakes and I don't want to alter them in any way. I was thinking of making a 338-06 but looking for barrels has been complicated. Does anybody know anywhere to get a good barrel? Possibly a whole kit that has no/go gauges, and a barrel nut wrench? I like the thought of a 338-06 and have done my research and I think it will do well for what I'm wanting to do with it. Let me know what you guys find and post some links. Thanks

Shilen has them as well. Priced pretty much the same as McGowan. Gauges and barrel nut wrench can be had from Sinclair Int'l/Brownells or Midway USA.

I bought a Shilen 338-06 barrel a couple years back and used it last season, very accurate and a real simple process to switch out barrels!!

Forgot to mention, you'll probably want to order a barrel vise (I use the wheeler engineering vise) and some rosin as well. They can be had from the same place as the gauges and wrench. The rosin will keep the barrel from slipping in the wooden block when removing the factory barrel from the action.

Well so far everyone I have contacted has given me a ridiculous waiting period. Does anybody know where they have any barrels ready to ship in 338-06? I bought the Savage 110 and I'm itching to get my barrel ordered. Also while I'm still looking for this barrel what all calibers could I get a barrel for and just switch them out with this gun? Like I said its a Savage 110 long action 30-06. Can anybody list the calibers that all I would have to do is change out the barrel?

Here are some of the cartridges with the .473" case head:

.24*, .260*, 7mm-08, .308, .358 Win -(based off the .308 Win case).

.25-06*, .270, .280&, .30-06*, .338-06, .35 Whelen - (based off the .30-06 case).

.22-250 Rem*
6mm Rem*
240 Weatherby Mag.
.250 Savage
.257 Roberts*
6.5-284Norma
6.5-06*
7X57Mauser*
.284Win
.300Savage
8X57 JS Mauser
8mm-06

'bout all I can come up with, I'm sure there's probably more. The * listed behind the cartridges above also have an Ackley Improved (40 degree shoulder) version available. Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

Forgot to mention, you'll probably want to order a barrel vise (I use the wheeler engineering vise) and some rosin as well. They can be had from the same place as the gauges and wrench. The rosin will keep the barrel from slipping in the wooden block when removing the factory barrel from the action.

I have both a barrel vise and action wrench, on a Savage the wrench works way better for barrel swapping than the barrel vise. The trick is to hold the nut wrench stationary and whack the action wrench with a heavy hammer. Also a generous squirt of Kroil helps break things loose the first time around. For my .473 bolt face long action I have .30/06, .270 and .25/06 barrels sitting around, I have a magnum action and will add another short action when a good deal pops up locally. For barrels contact Jim at Northland shooters supply, give him a call and tell him what you want to do He'll steer you in the right direction.

Northland Shooters Supply

Hope this helps!

Bob

PS If you want to shoot me a PM and I can send you some pictures of my barrel swap set-up.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.