Savage. 338 lapua switch barrel

rosseickhoff

savage. 338 lapua barrel and bolt switch.

Had this post in the gunsmithing forum with no replies. Maybe its just a bad idea.

I've been looking for information about the savage. 338 BA and HS models available in both 300 win and. 338 lapua. Have heard they use the same action with a different bolt and magazine. Haven't really gotten a defined answer on the issue. What i have in mind is an HS .338 lapua with a second bolt and barrel to give me options. Would like to start with a 6.5 stw as a second option with others added down the road to suit my current whim. Was really wondering if anybody else had this idea or had heard of anybody doing it?

That is the nice thing about savages! All you would need is the spanner for the barel nut and an action wrench, bolt heads for the different calibers and a way to set the head space and your good to go. The best way to do the head spacing is with go/no-go gauges.

I strongly suggest that you obtain access to both 110 FCP HS models (338 LM and 300 WinMag) and compare the stock cut-out dims, mag well dims, action and bolt dims, and mag dims. Don't assume an easy swap, possibly not a swap at all.

Where's all this "wisdom" coming from? I contacted John Whidden regarding doing a custom mod of his single shot Savage long action V-block to accept the bottom metal/mag - to configure my rifle as a semi-take-down (R&R the barreled action for transport). Sent my brand new 110 FCP HS Precision (in 338 LM) to him for a look see. His response, " Due to drastic differences in shape, we won't be able to install our V Block. The current stock and bottom metal is just too wide at the front around the front action screw."

While you are "only" talking about swapping the barrel and bolt, from the complications John mentioned, I'm not at all sure whether the bolt will fit (same dims???) or whether the mag will work (definitely not the same mag setup since the Savage product page says, regarding the 300 WinMag model, "This model has a flush-fit magazine". I suspect potential "no-go" issues going down from the base 338 LM model or up from the base 300 Win Mag model. Then again, maybe just s "simple" bolt and barrel swap and the 338 LMs will fit the 300 WinMag mags. So, back to the intro suggestion - check them out first hand. [You might also call Savage - and, at the same time, see if they'll sell you a bolt and barrel.]

The 338 Lapua is a large shank barrel, and the 300win is a small shank barrel. The mag openings are different than the regular actions for the BA style bottom metal. You'll be able to swap with same shanked barrels.

If you started with the 338 Lapua, in order to swap to the STW you'd need a large shank STW barrel and a long action magnum bolt head and a AI 300win magazine.

you could do something along the lines of the .284 Jazz?/Thor or 7 AM and not need a new magazine.

Built this from a donor 110 receiver. Boyds stock with bedding top and bottom, CDI bottom metal and had the threads opened and the action trued. Shoots under 1 MOA. No complaints and it's definitely not as heavy as the BA...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.