338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien

If you use the same bullet and push it the same speed how can it be that much better?

It isn't if both rifles shoot well and are dialed in the bullet doesnt know what is was launched from.

On the other hand I have loaded for a few Lapuas in the past and I am on my second Norma. I can say it was much easier to get the two Normas dialed in with an accurate load and low es sd than the Lapuas. The Normas shot every load I put through them it is not a picky cartridge. I feel it is a well designed cartridge and easy to load for

This is a thread for discussion of the article, 338 Norma Review , By Ward W. Brien. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Has RL 22 been working best for you guys? I see in the article between 83 & 85 Grains. Where have you noticed best accuracy with seating depth and powder combo w/ SMK's and GEN 2 Berger OTM's? I've been using H-1000 @ 88 Grains 24" Rock Creek w/ 1:9.3

Just wondering if you guys have found the nodes for this beast yet??

Has RL 22 been working best for you guys? I see in the article between 83 & 85 Grains. Where have you noticed best accuracy with seating depth and powder combo w/ SMK's and GEN 2 Berger OTM's? I've been using H-1000 @ 88 Grains 24" Rock Creek w/ 1:9.3

Just wondering if you guys have found the nodes for this beast yet??

In both of mine I started at 12 thou off and I just left it. R-22 shot great and maxed out at 2750fps. Ramshot Magnum ran 2800 with the same accuracy so I left it. It consistently shoots in the 3's

H-1000 was insane accurate but only ran 2700 fps.

The RL22 with the Federal 215M Primers work best at or above 8,000' ASL. The powder charge I use is 84.2 grains and I seat the 300 grain SMK's just touching the lands. "Just touching the lands" produces consistent pressures from one round to the next. This produces a slightly larger 1/8" group at 100 meters than my lighter load, however it is a laser beam downrange.

not to high jack this thread but i am going to build a 338 norma. is their any does and don't that is work noting. i really relied on info for my fist ever build from this site and boy was i happy i did i do not believe it could have turned out any better.

Two things...

1. The Counter-Bore must be .780"

2. The angle cut on the interior of the bolt face rim must be correct in order for it to properly eject.

To quote "Janes," this weapon system is THE game changer. 4lbs lighter then a saw, 95 round belt fed, 300 grains of pain, & just about Every political comment intent to destroy it, and the 338 "Jimmy Sloane" (338 Norma) casually touches Home Plate. Game changer? That's an enormous understatement.

To quote "Janes," this weapon system is THE game changer. 4lbs lighter then a saw, 95 round belt fed, 300 grains of pain, & just about Every political comment intent to destroy it, and the 338 "Jimmy Sloane" (338 Norma) casually touches Home Plate. Game changer? That's an enormous understatement.

Ward,
I can see where a cartridge with the performance of the .338 Norma Mag could have a real advantage with many other types of bullets in it; designed for operational needs on today's battle field, such as an Hybrid LR, APIT, Sabot, SLAP penetrator's and others. Like the Ma Duce; it would coverts a lot of cover into concealment in a real hurry. Can you imagine what it would be like with a longer barrel from a cupola or coax mounted weapon on a vehicle(s). Not to mention the "Snipers" perhaps using some of the aforementioned rounds in a .338 NM sniper rifle... Not that the .338 Lapua doing a bad job, it's not; it's just a logistics thing for US troops with a MG and rifles; (designated marksmen & snipers) having the same caliber as the MG.

Seems like, since ballistically the LP and Norma are similar, the Army would (should?) drop the LP and go w/the 338 Norma to limit/ease stock lists.

Since the Norma is so ballistically similar to the LP yet it comes in a shorter OAL it just seems like a "win-win" for operatives who could employ BOTH the 338 Norma in the MG as well as a precision platform.

You never know. It's all about money and common sense doesn't always win out over it. The .338 NORMA is without question, one of the very best cartridge epiphanies to have come along in my life time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.