338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien

The Barrel Lug that I use is 1/4" thick.
The Barrel is manufactured by "Mark Chanlynn" of "Rocky Mountain Rifle Works," and his phone number is as follows: (303) 823-6270. He is one of the Very Best Barrel manufacturers around and has been making them for 40+ years. He also apprenticed under "Boots Obermeyer."

The Barrel has a 1:9.1" Twist ratio and at the time was 28" long. The ideal length of the barrel is 26" overall, however at the time, the barrel was 28" overall.

The powder that I utilize at my elevation, (8200 ASL) is Reloader 22 and the primers are Fed 215M.

There are two accuracy nodes that I load, one is 82.5 grains which gives me 2649 fps and the other is 84.2 grains which gives me 2,785 fps. The lighter load stabilizes at 100 meters and shoots basically a hole. The 84.2 shoots bigger at 100 meters, approximately 3/8" but shoots exceptionally small at and beyond 300 meters.

The bullets utilized are the 300 grain SMK's and they are loaded IN THE LANDS .003".

I have another .338 Norma that I have been working with that likes a jump and shoots the same whether .005" or at .02". The group size is one hole but once in awhile jumps an 1/8". I have 37 rounds down that pipe, so in a few more rounds I'll start seeking out a trend.

The .338 Norma is The Best Cartridge that I have ever shot. It works so well and the barrel life is 2.5 times longer than the LaPua with downrange Accuracy about three times better. That is a Fact.

Ward can you explain why the barrel life is 2.5 times longer than the Lapua?

I too would like to know how you are getting 2.5X more barrel life out of the Norma vs Lapua, as case capacity is very similar, and ballisticly they are almost identical.
I don't beleive it, at this point.

2.5x greater than what?

Sako TRG4 have a garanteed barrel life of 5000 rounds using match factory ammo.
Therefore a Sako TRG 42 in 338 Norma Mag would have a 12 500 rounds barrel life... :D

I'll buy that, and the Brooklyn Bridge ;)
Alex

Re: 2.5x greater than what?

Sako TRG4 have a garanteed barrel life of 5000 rounds using match factory ammo.
Therefore a Sako TRG 42 in 338 Norma Mag would have a 12 500 rounds barrel life... :D

I'll buy that, and the Brooklyn Bridge ;)
Alex

I'm not backing up Warren because I don't know what the truth is. But, to say that the TRG 42 has a guaranteed 5000 rounds for the .338 LM, but doubt it would be increased to 12,500 rounds if it was a 338 Norma, is just a bad a statement if not worse. You don't know that and neither does Sako. I searched Sako's web, no where it states 5000 round guarantee for the lapua.

Sako TRG

see bottom of page

"The Finnish Army found out during a test/trails program and 7 years of actual service that the barrels of their Sako TRG-42's lasted 4000 to 5000 rounds with Lapua Lock Base B408 factory ammunition before showing impermissible accuracy decay. The Finnish Army consistent accuracy requirement for these rifles is ≤ 1 MOA at 1000 m. If this requirement is not met the TRG-42 gets a new .338 Lapua Magnum barrel. This is normal practice for active high performance precision rifle operators who regard barrels as expendable items. The continuous use of very powerful handloads (which results in higher muzzle velocities) resulted in much quicker throat erosion reducing the TRG-42 barrels accuracy life to 1000 to 2000 rounds."

Hi all, I sent a private message yesterday and my point was the same as that made by many shooters on this thread: high quality 338 Lapua Mag rifles have good barrel life if quality 250gr match ammo is used. Shoot hot handload or "over-pressure" rounds and even a good barrel will have a short life.

It's possible that 338 Norma Mag is so much better a driving a heavy 300gr SMK that 338 Lapua Mag needs an over-pressure load to achieve the same performance. That would be a reasonable explanation for the 2.5 barrel life statement.

Alex

That is a undocumented reference from a Wikipedia article. I don't believe that anymore than I believe the sub MOA targets that come with some guns.

Sako TRG

see bottom of page

"The Finnish Army found out during a test/trails program and 7 years of actual service that the barrels of their Sako TRG-42's lasted 4000 to 5000 rounds with Lapua Lock Base B408 factory ammunition before showing impermissible accuracy decay. The Finnish Army consistent accuracy requirement for these rifles is ≤ 1 MOA at 1000 m. If this requirement is not met the TRG-42 gets a new .338 Lapua Magnum barrel. This is normal practice for active high performance precision rifle operators who regard barrels as expendable items. The continuous use of very powerful handloads (which results in higher muzzle velocities) resulted in much quicker throat erosion reducing the TRG-42 barrels accuracy life to 1000 to 2000 rounds."

I don't see anywhere on this referrence the word "5,000 ROUND GUARANTEE". Nor, even just he word guarantee by itself.

I'm with Warren on the 2.5X. For hot loads, 1000 rounds for the Lapua and 2,500 rounds for the Norma is very very posssible. Someone might have to buy the Brooklyn Bridge afterall.

St. Marks Powders (General Dynamics) performed the Tests. The .338 Lapua's Throat Begins to show Erosion at 700 rounds. The .338 Norma's Throat begins to show erosion at 1,700 - 1,800 rounds. This is a Fact.

So, if you are stating that the .338 Lapua's barrel life is estimated to be a minimum of 4,000 rounds, then the .338 Norma's would be 10,000. The Norma's 10,000 round estimate is in-line with the Marine Corps 11,000 life span for the .308 Win.

Accuracy is non-contested. Most everyone, in fact everyone I know that owns the .338 Norma experiences 3X's the accuracy than the Lapua at 1,500 Meters. I can also personally testify to you that the .338 Norma is 3X's more accurate at 1 mile than the Lapua.
I desire to shoot the better performing cartridge, and without question it is the .338 Norma.

Ward have you shot any 300 bergers yet? I was just curious if anyone has and figured you have as much experience with this caliber as anyone. Mine will be ready in a week and was just wondering.

Chase

I've shot the 140 grain, 185's and 210's but not the 300's. I have heard that Berger has the 300 grain in both a match and a VLD. Let me know how they work for you.

I did get my hands on some Gen 1 VLD's. I will start with 84 gr of Retumbo and chrono and get accuracy tests done out to a mile as soon as I can. I also got 100 of the 252 gr cutting edge projos. Not real sure how they will fly but its worth a try. A little rich to shoot all the time. I will get results up asap when the rifle is complete. Manson has taken over 6 weeks getting my smith the reamer...Art of the dynamic wait!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts