Practical, Tactical Or ? By Ward W. Brien

ADMIN

Administrator
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Practical, Tactical Or ? By Ward W. Brien. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

The author will have this thread automatically notify him of posts so that he can join the discussion. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

My .300WM and yours are about the same Stock, barrel length, scope. and trigger it also shoots great. With the right sling it is easy to carry. I would be interested in your hunting class could you post a link to information on dates and cost. I think your article was great.
Thanks

Gunny:

Thanks. Classes begin on 1 June 2009 and go through out the summer, ending on 26 August. The price is $1,500.00 for three days and there are never more than three students per class. I will get a post up soon. But please feel free to visit my web site for more information. ACI_Closeup

-Ward

Great article, and it might be the fact that im tired and just finished a mug of neocitrin, but did you mention the actual calibre of your hunting rig?? im assuming its a 300 win mag due to your measurements that you had mentioned.

Hello Nocturnal:

Yes, the Tactical Hunter is a .300 Win Mag. However, other Great Calibers would be the 7mm Mag and also the 6.5X284.

-Ward

see, id like to do a build like that. minus coating everythign in green. seems like to much of a hassel. Except im not sure what calibre to start with. I hunt moose and elk with a Remington 700 in 300 Weatherby mag that my father had given to me but i gave it back. im pretty sure that the barrel was shot. it had a lot of rounds through it in its 20 year lifespan. im a fan of the Remington action and cant really afford to go get one of these brand new, custom actions you see everyone on here talking about. Its hard to get some good soild advice on here because everyone has their own opinions. im just wondering if i should have kept the rifle and had it rebarrled to a 300 win mag,300 rum or kept it as a 300 weatherby. hmmm.... choices choices choices.

I have always believed that the .300 Win Mag did it all, and it does. However there are a couple of other calibers out there that I am fond of. The 7mm mag is a flat shooter running the 180 grain "Berger VLD" bullet. And then, Shawn Carlock builds his .338 Edge or Lapua... Both the 250 grain and .300 GRAIN bullet has allot of energy downrange.

No advantage or disadvantage. Belted is belted and I don't really care as long as I can get the firearm to shoot.

With the Tactical .300 that's in the article and utilizing the Berger 210 VLD's , just over 1400 meters.

With my 6.5X284, utilizing the Berger 140's, roughly 1200 meters.

The ballistics between the two cartridges are similar, only the 6.5 is moving about 100 fps slower at 1000 meters.

hmmm interesting. all within MOA im guessing too. Sorry to bother you with so many questions. your article has changed my thinking of long rang shooting and now i have tons of questions running through my head.

knockturnel: No problem with the questions. Please Feel free to phone me if you like, I am certain that you cannot talk my ear off.

The Tactical .300 Win Mag with the Night Force scope on it, utilizes both a Mil-Radian Reticle called the "MLR" and also a 1/10th of a mil click value for the turrets.

The "MLR" reticle has lines that represent the milliradian measurements of the stadia instead of Mil-dots. Also, the Night Force 3.5-15X50 scope has a total of 110 moa adjustments from top to bottom, which is equal to 32 milliradians. If I dialed in the 14 mils into the scope, (48.5 moa) for 1400 meters, I would still have 2 mils (7 moa) of adjustability left. If I was shooting flat, I could theoretically take five mils of adjustment out of the turrets by dialing in 9 mils and holding over on mil line #5. I say holding flat, because when shooting on an incline or decline, the Shooter's eye is slightly pulled off of the ocular center of the glass, which in turn will cause the poi to hit high.

The Scope on-top of my 6.5X284 is also a Night Force, however it is a 5.5X22X50 and utilizes the NP-R2 reticle; which has lines that are in 2 moa increments. The extra power is very good in cool weather for magnifying the target, however has a narrower field of view. I hope that this isn't confusing because shooting long range is easier than you think. Math is math and science is science...

i understand most of what you just said. ill let it sink in a bit and then read it again in the morning just to make sure. im kind of new at this whole long range deal. My old man used to shoot a 25/06 out to 800 plus yards back when i was a kid but he has gotten out of that after he left the gunshop he was working at. all that he taught me was to sight in my rifle, 2.5inches high at 100 yards and whatever i put the cross hairs on and pull the trigger on at 500 yards will probably die. Well, im not a huge fan of "probably". I like cold hard facts. If im going to shoot at something 728yards away, i want to make sure im going to kill it with one shot. sighting in at 100 yards and holding a 2.5inch group is not good enough for me. i took a moose this year at approx. 500 yards. the closest thing i could range to him after the fact was 476.i did not have a range finder with me and ended up shooting way ahead of him. i made the shots and was lucky there was no ruined meat. after that, i told myself i would be a better shot. which led me here. ive read just about every article pertaining to the 300RUM because this is what i thought i would get. but now im not sure. Ive always hunted with 180gr lead and it hasent stopped me from killing a few moose and lots of whitetails and mulies with little if not any meat loss. but i also use it in the bush a lot. im always hiking around. just sitting and glassing. Sure, ive seen lots of nice animals at a very far distance but by the time i get there, they have dissapeared. i hunt some amzing huge areas around here. Some of which were showcased in the video of Jerry Teo shooting his 223 at one mile. Im just trying to pinpoint the perfect cartridge for me and get started ASAP on a build of my own. you are helping me more then you know. and for that, i thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.