338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien

I have shot 100 berger hybrids out of mine and have been waiting over a month for some more. I t is the bullet that I will be hunting with. I shot several 1'' @ 400 and 6'' at 1000.

"I have shot 100 berger hybrids out of mine and have been waiting over a month for some more. I t is the bullet that I will be hunting with. I shot several 1'' @ 400 and 6'' at 1000. "

what load did you use? also, barrel length, twist, seating depth, velocity..thanks in advance!

Chase

OK... I am just blown away!!!! I thought the Lapua was one of the best... After reading this and taking the limits of my brain bucket, I can't help but think that the Norma is a better choice. I was/ am in the process of building my first long range gun.... Started it a year ago and the builder took my money and just filed bankruptcy. So, now I have a fresh new look and can re-evaluate what I want. So, I guess the biggest question is, for a new guy, which round should I pick? I have not started reloading but I hope to soon.
Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Mario

ok... I am just blown away!!!! I thought the lapua was one of the best... After reading this and taking the limits of my brain bucket, i can't help but think that the norma is a better choice. I was/ am in the process of building my first long range gun.... Started it a year ago and the builder took my money and just filed bankruptcy. So, now i have a fresh new look and can re-evaluate what i want. So, i guess the biggest question is, for a new guy, which round should i pick? I have not started reloading but i hope to soon.
Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Mario

they are one and the same ....build your lapua,,, it sets records every day.

marioq:

I have Three .338 Norma's; one of which I have up for sale. It has 385 rounds down the barrel and is virtually new. Do you have any interest? It is The Best Cartridge I have ever shot. No BS.

It is The Best Cartridge I have ever shot. No BS.

this is no joke. I had a lapua and Norma at the same time. Same action, stock barrels etc.. Rest assure the lapua was turned into another Norma. I have connected at 2520 yards with my 338 Norma and 300 bergers.

Right on.

+1
I was watching a guy shooting a .338 Norma at well over 1k... Wow that thing really "tears a hole in the air"... as .338's go, it was a very impressive cartridge.
I have got to get off my butt and add one of these to my battery.

this is no joke. I had a lapua and norma at the same time. Same action, stock barrels etc.. Rest assure the lapua was turned into another norma. I have connected at 2520 yards with my 338 norma and 300 bergers.

was the difference so extreme that it caused you to change it to
a norma.... Just wanting to know for a future build..

was the difference so extreme that it caused you to change it to
a norma.... Just wanting to know for a future build..

Honestly they shot the same out to about 1100. Past that it wasn't even a question that the Norma was the better round. I could never hit my 2000 yard plate with my lapua and I hit it 6 out of 10 shots last weekend with the Norma. I also put 9 out of 20 shots on my 22"x18" plate at 2520 yards back in november. I wouldn't waste the ammo that far with the lapua.

Chase

honestly they shot the same out to about 1100. Past that it wasn't even a question that the norma was the better round. I could never hit my 2000 yard plate with my lapua and i hit it 6 out of 10 shots last weekend with the norma. I also put 9 out of 20 shots on my 22"x18" plate at 2520 yards back in november. I wouldn't waste the ammo that far with the lapua.

Chase

thank you for your honesty and answering back ....i,ll do more research on the norma but i feel very comfortable out to 1500 yards with the lapua..

thank you for your honesty and answering back ....i,ll do more research on the norma but i feel very comfortable out to 1500 yards with the lapua..

I know it's har to compare them without having them side by side. But after doing it myself that was my experience. I'm not trying to pursuade you out of the lapua by any means at all. Since you already have components for the lapua it may be more cost effective to stick with it. I'm getting 2825 fps with only 88 gr of H1000 I know this much. It took 92 just to get 2800 in the lapua. I've charged the Norma over 2900 with the 300 Berger when I was finding pressure.

You are not talking me out of anything!!!! I have nothing to be talked out of!!hahahah I appreciate your knowledge and insight.... At the end of the day, I am making a decision based on other's expertise and I do like what I hear. I have called several people and all seem to like the Norma a little more for it's long range performance.... However, the fact that you have shot both from the exact same make with all pieces being the same, says a lot.... Now, time to find one..... or Build it!!!!!

i know it's har to compare them without having them side by side. But after doing it myself that was my experience. I'm not trying to pursuade you out of the lapua by any means at all. Since you already have components for the lapua it may be more cost effective to stick with it. I'm getting 2825 fps with only 88 gr of h1000 i know this much. It took 92 just to get 2800 in the lapua. I've charged the norma over 2900 with the 300 berger when i was finding pressure.

don,t want to tie up this thread , but i already built a 338 lapua and i will file your info for a later build.
Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.