338 light builds

Those of you shooting 338 Norma mags, 338 Lapua's, 338 edge's or the like with 285-300 grain bullets, at 2650-3000 fps in light rifles, what is recoil like? I'm planning on building a sub 9 lb 338 Norma for shooting 300 Bergers, with a terminator T3 brake. Are yall able to spot shots at all or does it bounce ya off pretty good?

I just got back from shooting and tryed several brakes out . I'm settled on the
T 4 for my steel barrel 338 Edge . I have the T 3 on my Proof 338 Edge but I have not shot it yet . Its 10.7 all in . It will be my Mountain packing Edge .
Best of luck to you !
20190406_133251.jpg
20190406_133200.jpg

It's a McGowen 30 " Sendero taper on a Lawton action . I will take it to the Smith this week to get it turned down some and timed. I bought a few from another member and finally got out to try them. .

The T3 looked better but I felt the difference between the two and I'm settled on the T4 for this one .

I have a 7.2oz NM and a 9.4oz. Run about 8 3/4 and 11.4oz,dressed out.Lots of times I spot hits with lighter one,gripping it a bit more like on rocks etc.But hunting I miss seeing the hit at times.The heavier one is easier also has a better stock and light jewel,more of a target gun than hunter.But have taken quite bit of game with,its more my rig praire gun.300 otms at 2750.

I have a 7.2oz NM and a 9.4oz. Run about 8 3/4 and 11.4oz,dressed out.Lots of times I spot hits with lighter one,gripping it a bit more like on rocks etc.But hunting I miss seeing the hit at times.The heavier one is easier also has a better stock and light jewel,more of a target gun than hunter.But have taken quite bit of game with,its more my rig praire gun.300 otms at 2750.
Ok cool. Ya I'm gonna go with a spiral fluted #5 brux cut to 25", on a rem 700 action, Terminator T3 brake, and a B&C lightweight stock, or possibly a more tactical shaped carbon stock. With the right optic I should be in the 8# range, plenty packable, and plenty for long range elk

7C46A363-8340-43E0-BEEB-DD3FFC442E7F.jpeg
DA4A02F0-599B-4F0D-80F6-283233F7BF7E.jpeg
custom savage axis 338-06 with 21" stainless green mountain barrel chambered by Jim at Apache gun works with red field 3-9x40 accu range. Weighs approximately 8lbs and is great on the shoulder recoil wise.

Last edited:
I don't know why anyone would want to pack around a gun with a barrel longer than 26". Even 26" is long, 20" to 22" would be ideal. We have these wonderful scopes with super precise and repeatable adjustments, we have bullets with extremely high ballistic coefficients, and we also have these laser range finders that allow us to know exactly how far we are shooting. Yet guys still think that having the fastest magnum is paramount. Sorry, but the days of needing a super flat trajectory are gone, we don't care what the point blank range is. What do those high velocities from super long barrels really get you? A few less clicks on your scope? Sorry, that's not worth it.
Guess that depends on how far you plan on shooting

I don't know why anyone would want to pack around a gun with a barrel longer than 26". Even 26" is long, 20" to 22" would be ideal. We have these wonderful scopes with super precise and repeatable adjustments, we have bullets with extremely high ballistic coefficients, and we also have these laser range finders that allow us to know exactly how far we are shooting. Yet guys still think that having the fastest magnum is paramount. Sorry, but the days of needing a super flat trajectory are gone, we don't care what the point blank range is. What do those high velocities from super long barrels really get you? A few less clicks on your scope? Sorry, that's not worth it.

You asked... You are some what correct, These days we don't worry as much about about PBR and super flat trajectory as those are all predictable now. However anyone that shoots LR knows that wind is the key. And the only way to mitigate imperfect wind calls (which all of us make) is with BC and faster velocity. Speed being more important in most cases inside of 600 yards...

Any of you guys build light packable 338's

I have a 338 RCM with a 19" #2 fluted barrel--on a ruger 77 hawkeye...very packable.

I'd love to see some of you guys rifles--and build specs...338, sub 10lb...etc...

Ed

It's not a "build", just my wife's "box stock", mid 90's, SS Win. Model 70 .338 WM, 24" barrel....scoped, loaded, and slung is an ounce or two under 9 pounds (can't remember the exact weight)! The rifle ain't pretty....but it hunts good! ;) memtb

Well, I ended up building mine! Some of you have already seen it, but for the rest of you....

Lilja 9 twist spiral fluted #5, 24"+brake, shank cut to 1" in front of .250" recoil lug.

MBM 5 port Beast TI.

Manners EH-1 in Arctic camo, 1" decelerator, full length pillar bedded, 2 flush cups right side, 1 swivel stud on front.

Wyatt's extended center feed mag box (3.850").

PTG aluminum BDL bottom metal.

Custom ordered silver DNZ Tactical ring/base combo w/21.5 MOA, opened up for 8-40 screws, bedded to reciever, rings lapped.

Rem 700 LH action, trued, bolt spiral fluted by LRI.

Trigger Tech primary with flat shoe.

Bare rifle is 7.1 lbs, scoped with March 2.5-25x52 is 9.07 lbs, as pictured in photo with bipod and sling is 10.3 lbs. Haven't even shot it yet, and I love it!!
20200118_163836.jpg

I wound up with a very similar rifle

Stiller Tac 338---
Proof sendero 1-9.4--338 Norma
Ti custom brake
Iota kremlin/black white and grey
M5 Hawkins bottom metal--3 round accurate mag CIP
Calvin elite trigger
Bushnell LRHS 4.5x18

10lbs 9oz loaded and scoped

Attachments

• IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2894.JPG
    IMG_2894.JPG
    750.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_2895.JPG
    IMG_2895.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2870.JPG
    IMG_2870.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.