338 light builds

Put a 22" #2 Lilja SS on a tang safety Ruger M77 chambered in 338 RCM. Mag box lengthened to 3.1" Stock is a long discontinued McMillan ultralight. Weight with scope is 7 1/4 lb.

It has taken two cow elk shooting the 225 accubond @ 2775 fps. Current load is the 300 gr Berger @ 2350 fps which is extremely accurate.

Did some research before using the 300 gr bullet: Broz reported taking some animals with impact velocities and wound channels using the 300 gr berger with his 300 Norma.

Thanks for this information Broz

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...results-using-338-300-gr-berger-hybrid.80968/

from a different thread:

"...bedded cow at 816 yards. Impact velocity was 1975 fps. Cow was slightly facing away. Entrance was in the crease behind the near shoulder. Exit was far shoulder. I was kinda surprised that the exit was only 1 1/2" or so. But this exit is deceiving. Note the bone fragments on he hair around the hole. Inside was total destruction and the exit shoulder was a loss. Elk died quick and clean. I am pleased."

Based on this information I figured I can use this bullet on any elk in the future. The 300 gr bullet sent from muzzle at a mundane 2350 fps @ 8000 ft will still have more velocity than above at 750 yds ( 2042 fps) which is farther than I would want to shoot anyway. So figure the 300 gr bullet will do fine. KNOW it will exit!

trajectory:

100 2.0

150 1.9

200 0.6

250 -2.0

300 -6.0

350 -11.4
Looking at Elkoholic's numbers with the 250 berger with his line of wildcats would give you another bullet with awesome results to try as well! Sounds like a nice shooting stick for sure.

I tried some Berger 250s when they came out, was a product tester and got them free from Berger. I wanted those bullets to shoot as I also felt they would be perfect but they performed poorly for me. In fact they were the only Berger hybrids I never got to shoot accurately.

Barrel is the Sendero Proof 30 "
I'm looking at about 8 to 8 1/2 pds before scope . Atleast that's what im shooting for, just a guess so far .

Last edited:
E1CD6636-80BC-422C-B60A-DD691770BC0D.jpeg
Just trimmed my 338 Lapua down to 22" from 28" to use with my suppressor weighs 10 lbs with the can,sling, scope , and stock pack. Just under 9 without the can. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Planning to run the 265 gr ABLR. Has a 22oz stock and a heavily fluted benchmark med Palma barrel. Hopefully it is still silly accurate. I am really excited about the shorter barrel. It is about the same length as it was with the 28" barrel plus brake. Makes it way more manageable.

View attachment 109581 Just trimmed my 338 Lapua down to 22" from 28" to use with my suppressor weighs 10 lbs with the can,sling, scope , and stock pack. Just under 9 without the can. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Planning to run the 265 gr ABLR. Has a 22oz stock and a heavily fluted benchmark med Palma barrel. Hopefully it is still silly accurate. I am really excited about the shorter barrel. It is about the same length as it was with the 28" barrel plus brake. Makes it way more manageable.

That's awesome, I would give up the velocity for a shorter rifle all day long, especially if it meant you would be able to use it suppressed.

I don't know why anyone would want to pack around a gun with a barrel longer than 26". Even 26" is long, 20" to 22" would be ideal. We have these wonderful scopes with super precise and repeatable adjustments, we have bullets with extremely high ballistic coefficients, and we also have these laser range finders that allow us to know exactly how far we are shooting. Yet guys still think that having the fastest magnum is paramount. Sorry, but the days of needing a super flat trajectory are gone, we don't care what the point blank range is. What do those high velocities from super long barrels really get you? A few less clicks on your scope? Sorry, that's not worth it.

I use a custom Mauser in 338-06 with a 22in barrel and scoped with a Leupold VXR 2-7. For deer size game I use Nosler 180 grain Accubond at 3000fps. It is deadly accurate, easy to carry, and hits hard. My wife uses a Tikka T3 stainless in 338 Federal which is also easy to carry and deadly accurate. For larger game, (elk and moose), she also uses the 180 Accubond and for deer size game she uses the 160 grain Barnes TTSX at over 3000fps. Both rifles have been trimmed to fit with Limbsaver pads attached and are easy to shoot. The heaviest bullet I have ever used with my 338-06 is the Nosler 210 Partition and I didn't feel under gunned even in Grizzly country.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.