338 Lapua now i need optics?

Wander over to Darrel Hollands site, hollandguns.com and take a look at his ART reticle. It is offered in several different scopes. Similar to the Nightforce R1 and R2 in MOA, or can be had in the MIL system as well. My favorite long range target is rock chucks, so a fine reticle, high resolution, and accurate clicks are a requirement. For years I have used Zeiss Conquest and IOR Valdada scopes with good success. Recently I have sold my Zeiss scopes and bought a 4-14 S&B PMII with this reticle. The goal this year is to break 1K yards on these little critters, so it seems time to step up to proper long range equipment. How does that saying go... buy the best and cry once. I have never had any problem in the past shooting elk with the same rifles I have used to bust whistle pigs waaay out there, so I have been content with varmint type scopes instead of tactical mil dot stuff.

Seems like the longest Varmit fixed type reticle I have seen goes out to 1000 yards with 5, 10 , 15 mph wind offset. I guess I dont want to be limited to 1000.

Im now leaning toward a NF..but i dont know yet. what is the most popular model, 5.5-22x50 or 56... is 22 power enough for 1500 yards , which retical are most of you guyss in the NF world settling on. If I seem like a follower...your right...I like to see what the guys who have been there done that spent the money and sorted things out like to go with ....That just seems smart to me and gives me a place to start.

So thanks for the info in advance! I really feel I bought the right gun and cartridge combo, now to match it with the best scope option and be done with it !

Patrick

Well sometimes with a straight base (0moa) it takes 20-25moa of adjustment to get lined up at 100 yards so that uses up 20 or so moa of your internal upward adjustment, so if you start with a 20moa base that gives you your lost adjustment back, so you still have the 50 moa or close to it to use on your dial plus the 20 in the crosshair.

On the savage 110 BA lapua it comes with a base/rail set up how would you go about getting a 20 moa base for something like that?

If you are refering to the benchrest nightforces the 12-42 has 40moa the 8-32 has 50moa and with a 20moa base either is plenty with a 338lm. If it takes 20 to zero it a 100 another 50 will get you to almost a mile with high end loaded 300 bergers. And the nightforce br scopes are just as tough as the nxs's having an ao verses a sf is the only downfall.

Do you have a really accurate load worked up for the 300 gr. Berger? I was just thinking a starting point where i could work out a load for my lapua.

500mag-guy the base that came on your 110fcp should already be a 20 moa and for loads with the bergers about .015" shorter than the magazine and you should find your accuracy/velocity best combo with a CCI 250 primer, 88-92grns H1000 and lapua brass.

500mag-guy the base that came on your 110fcp should already be a 20 moa and for loads with the bergers about .015" shorter than the magazine and you should find your accuracy/velocity best combo with a CCI 250 primer, 88-92grns H1000 and lapua brass.

My savage isnt the 110 fcp though. Its the 110 ba
Savage Arms > Firearms > Browse Models
Hope this one comes with 20 moa base too!! That'd be awesome!! And thank you for the load data ill be trying it as soon as i can get a nightforce!

I had emailed berger on load data a while ago and they said for H1000 that min load was 80 and max load was 84.3 and the max load being a 102.7% fill ratio. 88-92 seems high? Your thoughts?

Yes you always want to start low with the powder charges but the data berger gave you is for a SAAMI spec OAL catridge if you load them out longer you will have to make up for the extra air space. Id start at about 83 and work up, if 83 turns the case necks black (carbon) you know its a good bit under loaded. And the 110ba also has a 20moa base.

This scope is getting popular and is within your scope budget.

Try Sightron III scope. It is about half price cheaper than NF and there is review between them. Hardly see the difference.

No fear in accuracy is right, my second choice would be a Sightron SIII I have 2 of them now, an 8-32x56 with the 2moa reticle (virtually identical to nightforces np-r2) and a 10-50x60 with mil-dot, with a nightforce being a 10 these rate about a 9.5, the 8-3e cost me 763 and the 10-50 was 846, they are extremely clear, they track excellent, and have yet to lose set POI. Very good optics for the money.

No fear in accuracy is right, my second choice would be a Sightron SIII I have 2 of them now, an 8-32x56 with the 2moa reticle (virtually identical to nightforces np-r2) and a 10-50x60 with mil-dot, with a nightforce being a 10 these rate about a 9.5, the 8-3e cost me 763 and the 10-50 was 846, they are extremely clear, they track excellent, and have yet to lose set POI. Very good optics for the money.

so you think this Sightron S3 in 8-32x56 would be a good choice? I like what i see and the price is nice if the scope is comparable to nightforce. i just called my buddy and he will be checking into my base on if its a 0 moa or 20 moa. cross the fingers for 20 moa!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.