338 Lapua now i need optics?

Well assuming 4500ft altitude, 45*f , 29.85baro a 100yrd zero with 300grn berger hybrids at a MV of 2750fps with 1/4moa click value you will need 110-112 for 1000yrds and 218-221 for 1500 yrds.
Im not sure if he was counting clicks or moa, and you should have a 200 yard zero. my 300 is 24 moa for a 1000 yard shot. blue diamond has 60 moa in it 20 per revolution. and add in the 20 moa base that the rifle come with you would be looking at 80 moa adjustment.

backwoods what program are you using? I use I snipe on the I phone according to it there is 97 clicks at 1000. I would go bigger than 12" remember at 1000 1 moa is 10" and I would probably use 1/2" plate. It will be a little on the heavy side.

We go for an 8" circle 1/4" thick iron target at 1000, just 12" birchwood casey shoot and sees at 300 and 600.

Back to optics...:)

I 'borrowed' the Leupold VX3 6.5 x 20 TLR from my benchrest .223 for the Savage but I keep wondering if the recoil will destroy it eventually. Besides, I really need to get the LRH it's own optic. It's rail mounted with Warne rings right now, 30mm tube.

The VX3 isn't side focus either, rather AO and I prefer side focus for field work. AO is fine for the range, on the bench, not so good in the woods, actually, it sucks.

I keep hearing about the SS optics but I'm not too fond of Trashco (which is, I beleive) who builds the SS optics.

With me, price isn't an object, well, I don't want to pay 3 grand when I can get high quality for less. It's a matter of economy of scale.... Don't need a Schmidt and Bender for just the logo on the objective. It's like wearing a Rolex when a Timex does the same thing......

99% of what I'll do with this platform will be under 500 yards but I'll probably lug it out to New Mexico for Mule Deer.... I'll have to hire a porter to carry it, or attach wheels....

I smell a WSM coming as well. Shorter action, lighter weight.
ARE YOU KIDDIN ME, I had a leupold on a un braked 340 wby for 20 yrs. Now I have a mark4 on a 338 Norma that is 7-2 oz. As in light gun heavy recoil, taken game too 800 soooo farrr.

Your speaking in mils now your trying to confuse him, 7mils + 200yard aka 26.5 moa, it will be somewhere between 25 and 28 moa for 1000 depending on your conditions, mostly temperature and altitude.

No Im not it is just easier to memorize in you head mils, since there is not such a large number.

I agree with you sidecarFlip. An older gent once told me when your looking for good optics it normal to pay more then you did for the rifle. In this case i hope i can get a good scope for my lapua for under $1700 lol. I was leaning to NF but now after reading up on the sightron s3 i may end up going with it. Night Force is still very much so in the running though. It will most likely be between those two.

Interestingly, I considered a Sightron for my .223 bench rest rifle and was reading about them somewhere last year and I came across a comment by some poster on some forum (can't remember where) that said he had issues with a Sightron, something about the erector springs going haywire.

Instead I mounted a Leupold VX3 LRT with a fine duplex, 4.5-20 x 40 with a 30mm tube and it works just fine for the .223's capability, it even works very well for 100 yard center fire benchrest..... but it's AO and I really prefer a side focus for field work. The AO is fine on the bench but would be less than ideal in the woods or field, I don't want to be reaching out and twisting the objective and you can't read the graduations anyway unless you are over top the rifle. I need a side focus....

My .223 has no recoil compared to the Savage, it's like shooting a .22 rifle... but this was on a .223 forum, not a big gun forum. I'm not comfortable at all with buying a scope and paying 1500 or so and having it go tits up in the middle of a hunt. Guarantee or not, an inoperable scope means no shot and no animal. I'd be really upset just deer hunting and taking a shot and missing because of faulty optics, let alone hunting for Elk, climbing all day for a shot and the scope goes cafluey....

Sure, when you get back to civilization, you can box it up and return it but I don't take multiple rifles on hunts unless it's on out own property in Northern Michigan and then I leave a couple guns at the house. Still a long walk back....

I can't see multiple rifles or scopes getting packed up. One should be enough, though I do pack a sidearm, at least on my property because of trespassers more than anything else.

The problem is there are a zillion scopes on the market, in all various configurations and it's very confusing. I think know what I need but there are way too many choices. It's like the menu at Mc Donalds. You are hungry but confused.

They both have lifetime transferable warranties, kevin at montour has had an SIII on his 338x408chey-tac shooting 300grn smks over 3200fps without issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.