turning 338-lapua brass into 338-lapua inp.

Yep, hornady makes a hydraulic die which is a good option if you don't want the practice that comes with fire forming. I think if you intend to shoot 1000 rounds you will pay for the die but otherwise your just saving your barrel and your time loading your ammo. either way with a 338 LM, your going to be spending the money.

We use the COW method. Pistol powder, pistol primer, cornmeal, and a piece of toilet paper in the neck to hold it all tight. Take the break off, sit back with a beverage and make some noise.

Don't go too fast, cause the barrel will get warm. Just take your time.

Steve

[FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT]
We use the COW method. Pistol powder, pistol primer, cornmeal, and a piece of toilet paper in the neck to hold it all tight. Take the break off, sit back with a beverage and make some noise.

Don't go too fast, cause the barrel will get warm. Just take your time.

Steve
This is what I do with the exception of using a rifle primer and cream of wheat. No bullets when using this method, I've herd of a few guys trying to use this method with bullets. I create a false shoulder by necking up one size. For example on my 22-250 ackley I run the neck over a 243 expander and part way back down with a standard 22-250 die until it will chamber with a bit of pressure. Whidden also makes hydraulic forming dies. Here is a good article on the cow method.

260 Ackley Case Forming

[FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT]
This is what I do with the exception of using a rifle primer and cream of wheat. No bullets when using this method, I've herd of a few guys trying to use this method with bullets. I create a false shoulder by necking up one size. For example on my 22-250 ackley I run the neck over a 243 expander and part way back down with a standard 22-250 die until it will chamber with a bit of pressure. Whidden also makes hydraulic forming dies. Here is a good article on the cow method.

260 Ackley Case Forming

The pistol primer will let you know if you are over pressure before the rifle primer will.

Steve

The pistol primer will let you know if you are over pressure before the rifle primer will.

Steve
I can see how that makes sense having the thinner cup. I didn't mean to offend you or imply that you were doing it wrong. I just use rifle primers because I got a tin full of magnum large rifle primers from probably the 70's I didn't want to use them in a regular load so I burn them up doing fire forming. I start low and work up till I get a good shoulder.

I can see how that makes sense having the thinner cup. I didn't mean to offend you or imply that you were doing it wrong. I just use rifle primers because I got a tin full of magnum large rifle primers from probably the 70's I didn't want to use them in a regular load so I burn them up doing fire forming. I start low and work up till I get a good shoulder.

Heck no. I never took it that way at all. Just thought people would want to know the reason for them. We used to do it a different way and we were loosening primer pockets during fire forming. We got our current way form Kirby. He has formed so much brass he hired his dad to pull the trigger.gun)

Steve

Heck no. I never took it that way at all. Just thought people would want to know the reason for them. We used to do it a different way and we were loosening primer pockets during fire forming. We got our current way form Kirby. He has formed so much brass he hired his dad to pull the trigger.gun)

Steve
Ok I don't try to ruffle anyone's feathers but sometimes I come off as a a$$hole and don't mean to.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.