338 Lapua Magnum 2950fps for out the box 110FCP 246gr bullet, good or not so good velocity???

Hey you guys, I am not questioning any of the velocities y'all are getting, but I hand load for my 378 Weatherby, And the best I have recorded is a little over 2800 fps using 300 Nosler bullets and 118 grs of 7828. I know Lapua 338's are great long-range shooters, but how do I get my 378 to shoot like a 338? And, I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic.
I've never loaded for the 378 wby . just a fast look at my quickload a 26"bbl , 300 gr accubond , N570 powder should get you around 3080fps. RL33 should get you around 3065fps , retumbo should get you around 3040 fps , RL50 /RL26 / N560 should get you around 3000fps

are you sure of this load ? ; 118gr of IMR7828 looks to be way over pressure and 3250FPS .

Last edited:
I run 94 Grains of Retumbo in my 338 Lapua with a 250 grain berger elite hunter velocity average of 2970 ft./s

Last edited:
As with anything else, YMMV. Propelling a 300 grainer at 2800 FPS is no slouch. You might consider starting a separate thread for better yield specific to your query. Any responses you get from this thread will be buried for future queries. It is also out of respect to the OP's post from being hijacked. Good luck!
Yep, after rethinking the OP's post, I felt bad for maybe ruining his thread.
Sorry 'bout that, but I have no idea how to start a new thread.

I've never loaded for the 378 wby . just a fast look at my quickload a 26"bbl , 300 gr accubond , N570 powder should get you around 3080fps. RL33 should get you around 3065fps , retumbo should get you around 3040 fps , RL50 /RL26 / N560 should get you around 3000fps

are you sure of this load ? ; 118gr of IMR7828 looks to be way over pressure and 3250FPS .
My 378 loads are the same now as they were back in the early 1980s when I first got the rifle. Shooting across a friend's chronograph, I was happy with2810 and 2815 fps. With the newer powders, I believe I can up the velocity. The 118 grs behind the 300 gr. bullet does shoot a long distance with some magnum authority upon impact. I have never seen overpressure or had a heavy bolt lift, I think I may need a new chronograph to shoot through.

Yep, after rethinking the OP's post, I felt bad for maybe ruining his thread.
Sorry 'bout that, but I have no idea how to start a new thread.
Go to Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment Forum.
- Click on the Reloading sub-forum
- Right below the filter is the thread title window: Enter your title.
- Below the thread title is a discussion window: Enter your query. When done, click the post thread.

Good luck!

Go to Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment Forum.
- Click on the Reloading sub-forum
- Right below the filter is the thread title window: Enter your title.
- Below the thread title is a discussion window: Enter your query. When done, click the post thread.

Good luck!
Sounds simple enough that even my simple-minded brain can figure it all out. Thanks a bunch!