Good bullet for long throated .308

mobenzowner

I have a Browning X-bolt in .308 that has a pretty long chamber. I am currently shooting 165gr #2145 SGK's and have them shooting about .75moa on average. My issue is, I have to seat those bullets with just enough bullet left inside the case to hold fairly securely. Would a longer bullet be better, or is where the Ogive located more important than the total length of the bullet? This gun has a 1:12 twist barrel, so I think I need to stay in the 150-165 grain range. Any ideas on what bullets might work well? The accuracy of these are fine for 200 yd or less hunting, but I am afraid there is not enough bullet in case to hold securely. It is right on or slightly under the general rule of a calibers length inside the case.

I have to ask. Why are you seating them so long? Is this where you found the best accuracy or are you just trying to get closer to the lands? Have you tried seating them deeper? How far are you jumping the bullet now?

With a 1-12" twist, the heavier bullet you mentioned may (I said may) not be in your best interest. As a longer bullet will require more twist to stabilize. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if a 175-178 stabilized just fine for you.

I've been around several factory rifles that have what one could call "excessive" freebore.... & not just those from Weatherby I might add.

If you like that bullet, seat it deeper and see what happens. If not, grab some 175's. Keep in mind that a lengthy jump doesn't necessarily mean your accuracy will fall off, it just might be a little tougher to tune.

t

I have to ask. Why are you seating them so long? Is this where you found the best accuracy or are you just trying to get closer to the lands? Have you tried seating them deeper? How far are you jumping the bullet now?

With a 1-12" twist, the heavier bullet you mentioned may (I said may) not be in your best interest. As a longer bullet will require more twist to stabilize. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if a 175-178 stabilized just fine for you.

I've been around several factory rifles that have what one could call "excessive" freebore.... & not just those from Weatherby I might add.

If you like that bullet, seat it deeper and see what happens. If not, grab some 175's. Keep in mind that a lengthy jump doesn't necessarily mean your accuracy will fall off, it just might be a little tougher to tune.

t

I appreciate your asking that question about seating. That depth is where I found what appears to be this rifles optimum accuracy with that bullet. Accuracy was not acceptable for me with a shorter CBTO loading. I am still .011 off the lands at my loaded length. I understand and agree a "heavier" bullet might indeed be a detriment, with that twist rate. I appreciate your feedback. Just hoping to be able to get one of the "lighter" bullets to work in this rifle for lessor recoil, because I have a son a little light in stature who will also shoot this gun.

Then I can definitely understand wanting to keep a lighter bullet. If that is where optimum accuracy was found, as of right now I can only think of one thing to remedy the seating issue (that doesn't require a gunsmith).

That would be working another load, with another bullet seated deeper or with another powder and your current bullet seated deeper. If you truly need to have a shorter OAL, that's probably where I'd start.

t

I appreciate your asking that question about seating. That depth is where I found what appears to be this rifles optimum accuracy with that bullet. Accuracy was not acceptable for me with a shorter CBTO loading. I am still .011 off the lands at my loaded length. I understand and agree a "heavier" bullet might indeed be a detriment, with that twist rate. I appreciate your feedback. Just hoping to be able to get one of the "lighter" bullets to work in this rifle for lessor recoil, because I have a son a little light in stature who will also shoot this gun.
mowbenzowner,
You may want to try our .30 caliber 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTER bullet. You can find design information here : New Berger Classic Hunter Bullets | Berger Bullets Blog
In most cases the only load work up that needs done is to seat the bullet to standard magazine length and work up your load slowly checking for pressure sings and accuracy until your highest velocity accuracy node is found. I tested them just that way in a WIN 70 .308 I have that has a throat so long that I can barely get our 215 target bullet to touch the lands with the the end of its bearing surface right at the case mouth. You can contact us for load data information at [email protected]
Take care,

Last edited:
mowbenzowner,
You may want to try our .30 caliber 168 grain CLASSIC HUNTER bullet. You can find design information here : New Berger Classic Hunter Bullets | Berger Bullets Blog
In most cases the only load work up that needs done is to seat the bullet to standard magazine length and work up your load slowly checking for pressure sings and accuracy until your highest velocity accuracy node is found. I tested them just that way in a WIN 70 .308 I have that has a throat so long that I can barely get our 215 target bullet to touch the lands with the the end of its bearing surface right at the case mouth. You can contact us for load data information at [email protected]
Take care,

Thanks a lot Phil. Just might give those a try. My .243 loves Bergers 95 grain 6mm classics!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts