338 Lapua & 300 Grain SMK Scores On Deer

jwp475

Two deer taken with one shot each with the 338 Lapua and the 300 SMK

Sgt. May took his first deer on this trip, even though he is a Purple Heart reciepint in the war on Terror

HondoHunt2008076.jpg

The other Deer deer taken

HondoHunt2008084.jpg

Exit

HondoHunt2008086.jpg

That looks familiar.. The last WT I shot with my Lapua and a 300smk did the same thing. Actually sucked the intestines right out the other side plugging the hole. I was confused at the fact there was no blood trail in the snow till I seen the exit was plugged. But then she only took a few stepps.:D

Thanks for posting the pics.

Jeff

No, Coues just South West Texas Deer. The weather was warm and we didn't see many Deer at all

I would have loved to have heard the smack that made when it hit. Congrats good shooting.

If you keep doing that to poor little bambis, you aren't going to have much meat in the freezer to show for it!
I guess the Barnes TSX can reduce the meat damage compared to this.

I've shoot both fallow deer an red deer with no meat damage with 180 grain TSX in my 300 WinMag
The good thing about the TSX is that it's very willing to expand and all damage will be on the organs inside the animals, you can easily see that when you cut the animal
All exit wounds are less than ½ inch

Looking at the shot placement on that buck anyway, I would bet there was less then a couple ounces of meat damage on that buck.

As I always say, being over gunned is a mythical situation as long as you put the bullet on the right spot.

From what we have heard from some out there, I am surpised the 300 gr SMK penetrated at all!!! Please read that with a bit of sarcasm!!! LOL

Congrats and tell that American hero congrats and thank you!!!

Kirby is "Spot On"..
Kirby Sgt. May is happy to defend this Nation and he thanks you for your support.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.