338 federal for deer?

Jager89

Has anyone used 338 federal for deer? I know the 338 win mag is bit much on whitetail sized deer but what about the 338 federal? thanks in advance. gun)

I have harvested several deer with the 338 federal and the 185 TSX and it handles them with aplomb. It's more than enough firearm for any deer on the planet inside 300 yards.

My 338 is a Sako 85S accuracy is acceptable but not what I have come to expect from a Sako. I may send it to accuflight and re barrel to 260 AI on the fence about it.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Not to long ago I was thinking about buying one myself for the same reason. All the reviews I've read pretty much say it is good out to about 500 yards and where I hunt that would be plenty. Only problem would be ammo supply if you don't reload.

I have a Ruger Hawkeye SS in 338 Fed. My SIL used the factory loaded 185TSX on muledeer w/o issue. I recently worked up a load for it using Ramshot TAC and the Barnes 160TTSX. I consistently, safely got a tad over 3000fps with 52gr and a BR2 primer. That's 7mm Rem mag territory!

By far my favorite deer rifle!! I built mine up on a Sako before everybody started chambering it. I have shot deer with almost every bullet and I keep coming back to the hornady 200gn interlock with the 200 Speer close behind it.tried every powder and settled on H322 also. Wish I could download photos because I could show you several recovered bullets that are picture perfect. I let my buddy take it to shoot buffalo and on two different buffalo the 200 Speer was found on the back side under the skin. These bullets tend to penetrate more than the hornady and that's why I had him use these bullets. I have shot deer with the 185's but did not get the exit hole the 200's got and was only getting another 100 fps that's why I went back to the 200's.. Like someone else said , recoil seems just like the 308. If you only shoot factory ammo, try the 200 fusion load this stuff shoots as good or better than my best hand load!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.