338 caliber choices question

A lot of good choices that provide similar capabilities. I have the standard RUM, my partner has an EDGE, my brother standard RUM, and miscellaneous .338 Winchester Magnums in the group.

None of us really stretch on game, meaning 500-600 yards is our maximum. The .338 Win provides good results within those ranges.

Rocks, gongs etc past that, and the bigger cases give us more hits, but I really don't see the EDGE walking off and leaving the standard RUM's. We use exclusively 250 grain bullets (225's in the Win Mags).

Brass is the decider, if I were to start another .338, I'd have brass in hand then decide. Then buy an action to support the cartridge.

The action i have will work for any of the cartridges im thinking of. It just wont work for the lapua wich i didnt want to do anyways im curious to hear what mv u guys are getting with a 338-300 wsm with 250 grain bullets and does anyone have or know anything about a 338-300 saum. I cant find any info on it, i like the thought of a short mag with high bc bullets in a long action. Sounds like a very efficient way to use long bullets.

The action i have will work for any of the cartridges im thinking of. It just wont work for the lapua wich i didnt want to do anyways im curious to hear what mv u guys are getting with a 338-300 wsm with 250 grain bullets and does anyone have or know anything about a 338-300 saum. I cant find any info on it, i like the thought of a short mag with high bc bullets in a long action. Sounds like a very efficient way to use long bullets.

Here you go : This is a 338-300 WSM

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/first-long-range-build-completed-152849/

I have a 338-300 wsm on a M70 short action and a 24" barrel. I really like the cartridge and it certainly is efficient. In a long action with a longer 28" barrel properly throated for a bullet like the 250 Elite Hunter you could make a legitimate 1000 yard hunting rifle and get velocities in the low to mid 2700 fps range, maybe even up to 2800 fps.

My rifle is not set up for long range but I was pushing the 250 accubond to about 2650 fps.

If you are looking for efficiency (as in ratio of grains of gunpowder to fps) it doesn't get much better. The question I would ask is why go with the wsm wildcat when you could go with any of the bigger cartridges and get more velocity? The RUM is going to get 300+ fps more velocity with the same bullet in the same rifle.

My 338-300 wsm is set up as a lightweight backpacking elk rifle and I went with the 338 RUM as my dedicated long range hunting rifle. Brass for the RUM is not all that hard to find and I can load any bullet into my Wyatt box including the big 300 grainers.

Anyways, in the right rifle a 338-300 wsm could be a great long range rifle. I would be happy to pass along load data and any other info if you have any particular questions.

Im not dead set on the 338-300wsm it just looks like a very efficient cartridge when put into a long action. Im guessing a rem 700 would have no bullet seating limitations with its standard mag box. Im really leaning towards the 338 edge but i would like to see a 338-300 saum set up. I just cant find any info. If i go with an 338 edge or rum i will most certain need to do a wyatts extend box. Just trying to research all calibers before i make up my mind. How far would the 250 grain bergers be supersonic to going 2700 fps.

I just read the thread on the 338-300 wsm that waspocrew linked to and that thread verifies that you'll get 2800 fps out of a 250 if you set the rifle up right. Elevation will change things a bit but where I shoot at about 8500 ft the 250 EH will stay supersonic out to about 2000 yards when they're started off at 2800 fps. That's pretty darn impressive.

Thats extremely impressive, i may have to take a serious look at this caliber. Makes me wonder how far the edge goes. I really need to learn how to use a balistics calculator.

At the same elevation assuming the edge will start the 300 EH at 2850 fps, it will shoot out to beyond 2400 yards before going subsonic.

Well, the 338 Win Mag already matches the bolt face, brass and bullets can be found and prices are reasonable. Powders are of the more common variety. With a good recoil pad, you don't need a brake. Effective range matches up well with most hunting scenarios. Optimal barrel lengths are handier in the field. Doesn't require an extended mag box. Dies are everywhere. Factory ammo is everywhere. Can be loaded up or down. With high end bullets like Cutting Edge 225 gr., ranges for hunting and target can be extended. In most cases, you can walk to check your target instead of drive.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.