338-378 vs EDGE??

kc0pph

Well I am looking at getting a new rifle, The Edge sounded sweet, but im now reading that performance is much better with the wby. I also hear that you can shoot 1500M with this and a factory gun. I am finding theses for around 1200 (Some new some used). I also hear that the MK5 action is one of the best to build with for a custom. This leads me to think a WBY is better to get, and if i need more out of it, I can re barrel it and get something like an imp case. Downside is $3 per case. I am looking for a "Turn Key" Rifle and if im able to get one for around $1200, Dies and brass $300, leaves me $1000 for optics (And ill still be in my $2500 budget.) Is this hopeful thinking or is the WBY everything that i have been hearing about it.

(Would also be nice since I am a big .44 Mag fan to have Mr. Keith's Pride and Joy Rifle, I could be on my way to turning into his prodeje :) )

I had a custom 16 lb 338 edge and it was extremely accurate. Then I picked up a Weatherby accumark 338-378 and ended up selling the edge. My accumark is just as accurate, weighs 11lbs scoped and with a 26 inch barrel will shoot a 300 gr bullet faster than the edge.I think the factor is how accurate the weatherby is that you get.The weatherby brass is better than the remington brass. I don't see any advantage the Edge has over the 338-378.

You can get an edge to 2900fps with retumbo with a 300gr the 338-378 will probably only get 2950-3000? fps not a big gain for all the extra powder

An edge with 300 gr bullets to 2900 fps and you are right at the line of high pressure, sticky bolt lift, pierced primers. The 338-378 will get there and faster with no pressure problems and a shorter barrel.

I had a .338-378 years ago when the brass was under 2.00 each and the problem at that time was to get really good velocity (over 3000fps with 300's) the brass life was short. I'm sure the newer powders are somewhat better but for the cost of cases I'd do a .338 Lapua AI and have good case life with cheaper brass. You'll give up a little velocity but if your cases last 2 to 3x longer and cost almost half as much I'd give up 100fps. Just my .02

Well i found a Used Accumark for 1100. Guy says it was owned less than a week before it was returned. Says there is less than 5 rounds down the pipe. Only problem is it is a 30-378. I have a gunsmith that will rebarrel it for $150 (if i remember right) i supply barrel and reamer. I want to go with a 32". This so far is looking like a good deal. 1100 for a action/stock then 450 for new barrel. Can the Weatherby handle a long and heavy barrel (I want to go with a straight, or slightly contured barrel).

Pm Long time Long Ranger here or he should see your post. He is a 338-378 fan, and will tell you exactly what it will do. Edge h20 cap. 110, WBY H2O CAP.137. I think LTLR has 7 338-378's

There is on average 200 fps difference between the 338-300 RUM and the 338-378 wby with 300 grain bullets and equal pressure. For every 338-300 RUM that gets 2900 fps there is an equal number of 338-378's that get 3100 fps. Most averages are 2800 and 3000 respectively. You are comparing apples and oranges with two completely different rifles designed for different purposes. Both are excellent cartridges for what they are designed for. The wby is a big boomer with noticably more power and cost. You must decide if that is worth it for your purpose.

Today I was testing my rem 700 338 RUM at 3300 fps with a 225 grain .64 bc bullet. That rifle is about $650 and will kill anything you can hit with it. It maintains .5 moa accuracy. I would recomend the 338 RUM over the 338-300 RUM since they have the same performance but the factory round has several advantages.

The 30-378 is a good deal and you could later build whatever you wanted off that action. Excalibur improved, Lapua improved, 338-378 and imp version. If the 30-378 shoots you are good where you are. Then rebarrel when you shoot the tube out. It would be a great platform.

I own most 338's talked about on this forum and shoot them regularly. Nearly all of my hunting is done with three. The 338-378 wby, 338 RUM and 338 winchester. The 338 winchester is a light backpacker that does not require a brake. Longest kill 1104 yards on a moose.

The 338 RUM requires a brake but the 700 remington is still a light carry rifle that goes hunting instead of the 338-378 unless I am in an area where I need a serious long range rifle. Longest shot close to 800 yards on an elk but it will easily kill as far as I can hit something.

The 338-378 wby is my favorite long range hunting rifle. 127 grains of H-870 will drive a 225 grain .64 bc bullet 3500 fps out of my 28" barrel and long range hunting is way fun with it. It weighs 10.75 pounds which is heavy for me to backpack with although I do when I must. Usually I carry it when I am hunting near a road or a pack in camp, fly in Alaska/horsepack/ATV/4wd/etc. in other words it is my preffered weapon if I can. Longest shots are several 1100-1200 yards.

So, the reason I said all that is that you understand you can take a 338 winchester and make as long a shot as most will ever shoot. The RUM's just do it a little better and the 338-378 wby does it a lot better. Less drop and wind making long range hits easier. That is what you are paying for. You just got to decide how much fun you can pay for to make it easier on you with long range kills.

Ok Well Good Information there. I want to try and stay with the .338 due to the nice High BC bullets available. I think i am looking around 1500 for this rifle with a new barrel, and chambered. I have to buy a reamer as well. Now on the 338-378 imp is there anything special with the cases or can i do the whole trick of loading light rounds for the first shot (I have never fireformed). It may pay just to buy a 338-378 imp reamer. Is it worth it for performance (I want the best i can get for LR fun, yet still pack the mail to down an elk). I like the velocity of the 338-378.

As far as expense I reload (And at 130 per 20 You need to), i figure $3-4 per case and the rest does not matter bullets cost the same, powder costs the same.

I hear the accumark's are very good and accurate rifles. Do you have any knowledge of the stock accumarks?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.