I got to put a 270 ELD-X from my new 338 RUM into a critter tonight. We had a choice encounter with a West Texas free range Oryx as he stepped out of cover right before sundown. A single shot from 60 yards put him down. I was expecting a longer shot, but I guess you have to take them where they are. The 270 passed through, destroying the Oryx vitals on the way through.

View attachment 112206

Wow, that's awesome! And at 60 yards, well done.

Did you hit any shoulder or was it a double lung shot? How much does an Oryx weigh?

Wow, that's awesome! And at 60 yards, well done.

Did you hit any shoulder or was it a double lung shot? How much does an Oryx weigh?

They are around 450 lbs. I put it through his middle shoulder as soon as I got a clear shot through the brush he was stepping out of.

Drawings indicate their vitals are situated a little further forward than american critters, so really, if you want to hit them in the lungs you need to place your shot in the low to mid shoulder. When I pulled him apart this was indeed the case, the vitals are a bit further forward in the rib cage.

Good to hear the reports on this bullet, thank you. I currently shoot the 285gr ELD-M, it's done well for me, but I would be very careful where I put one at closer ranges as I would be afraid of it coming apart (Edge at 2970fps).

They are around 450 lbs. I put it through his middle shoulder as soon as I got a clear shot through the brush he was stepping out of.

Drawings indicate their vitals are situated a little further forward than american critters, so really, if you want to hit them in the lungs you need to place your shot in the low to mid shoulder. When I pulled him apart this was indeed the case, the vitals are a bit further forward in the rib cage.

Sounds like they evenly split a buck and a bull on body size, and a shoulder shot at close range. Great data point, thanks for the info.

Good to hear the reports on this bullet, thank you. I currently shoot the 285gr ELD-M, it's done well for me, but I would be very careful where I put one at closer ranges as I would be afraid of it coming apart (Edge at 2970fps).
Ive had a ton of luck with the 285 Eld-m also in my edge. Dont want to derail this thread so could you (ATH) PM me some of your load/rifle info? I'm running a 30" Brux and get decent speeds but curious on your powder choice and such.

Back to this thread... I've been following this as I was also curious about using this bullet in my Edge although I really have no reason to change other than more trigger time and options for the future. Glad to see good reports.

Ive had a ton of luck with the 285 Eld-m also in my edge. Dont want to derail this thread so could you (ATH) PM me some of your load/rifle info? I'm running a 30" Brux and get decent speeds but curious on your powder choice and such.

Back to this thread... I've been following this as I was also curious about using this bullet in my Edge although I really have no reason to change other than more trigger time and options for the future. Glad to see good reports.

I think you should post your 285 ELD-M load info and field experience. I would be surprised if there's much difference in performance between the 285 and the 270. Powder choice and charge weight will also be interesting to compare between the two.

Is anybody running the 230 eld-x ? Just curious , I'm getting a faster 338 built now and would be interested to hear any success or horror stories ! I plan on staying well under 1000 yards so would there be that much of an advantage ?

With the way your 300ss is delivering the smack down and the mojo it has why play with your 338.

With the way your 300ss is delivering the smack down and the mojo it has why play with your 338.
Haha good point but that next level is a lot of fun too. Pretty sure my edge kicks less than my 300ss and they are within a pound on weight. The 5 port muscle brake is awesome! The trajectory and energy of the 338 edge is incredible. I almost carried my edge the night I got that bull with my 300. Might have gone down sooner.... might not have.always need more toys and excuses to shoot.

Anyone have the physical dimensions on the 270 eldx bullet? Oal, boat tail, bearing surface lengths? I wish Hornady would put specs out like Bergers quick reference sheet. Would make picking freebore a lot easier. Saami freebore looks to be about .160, leaving room for 0.520 bearing surface above neck/shoulder. From most reports, the eld bullets like jump, the X particularly. Getting everything lined up for my RUM build. Thanks for any help!

Anyone have the physical dimensions on the 270 eldx bullet? Oal, boat tail, bearing surface lengths? I wish Hornady would put specs out like Bergers quick reference sheet. Would make picking freebore a lot easier. Saami freebore looks to be about .160, leaving room for 0.520 bearing surface above neck/shoulder. From most reports, the eld bullets like jump, the X particularly. Getting everything lined up for my RUM build. Thanks for any help!
270 eld x
1.698" oal
Approx .250 boat tail

I just ran the numbers for it today for the same thing. Also have adg 338 rum brass. Seated properly is 3.878" for right at neck shoulder junction and just the boat tail below

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.