338 1:10 twist

Thanks for the replies, guys.
I was curious as to where this 9.3 twist stuff started and the reasoning behind it, when 1:10 twist was used forever in 338 cal.

Not trying to de-rail anything but I found 9.4 and 9.1 used in a 338 Norma review 338 Norma Review.
I was really geared up for a 338 RUM but then I saw a little on the 338EDGE +P and then the Bergers look like reality so now I'm re-evaluating and wondering the same questions. The Norma seems to be built for the 300gr SMK.

I could be wrong but I thought I read where Berger believed a 1-10 would be fine for their new .338 stuff.

I asked Eric Stecker himself about this on another forum.

Q: Any indications what the suitable twist rate will be for the .338's ?

A: Bryan [Litz] designed all the 338 cal bullets to be stable in the more common 10" twist. Regards, Eric

Im currently building a 338 edge and going with the 9.3 twist. Im the worst here on knowing the particulars and wont debate the issue do to lack of knowledge but will only say what i was told. My gunsmith Travis Redell reccomended it and also Tim from Broughton Barrels also. My instructions was i wanted a 338 edge with out a super long barrel. This will be a practical hunting rifle i will be carring and wanted the edge benefit with out weighing a ton. We settled on 27" length plus brake , i think a var. contour and they both reccomend the 9.3 twist. I will only be shooting the 300 smk. Maybe this reason was because i didnt want a 28" plus pipe? Speaking with Tim at Broughton barrels he did tell me they found out the 9.3 stablized the bullets better at longer ranges. Just what i was told now i have to go out and plow snow to pay for the new toy.
Mike

I was wondering if the 9.3 twist would help going through the transonic and may lessen the effects you saw at 2285 yrds.
A good share of the 338 Norma Mags I have read about, which seems to be designed around the 300SMK, run the 9.3 twist.
Granted that this would be out of the norm for most shooting.
Bigngreen,
From my experience with the 1 : 10 twist that I have, there is no problem with stability at 1500 to 1600 yards and accuracy is good. Not so lucky at the longer distance.

I don't know what the 1 : 9.3 twist would be like as I have no experience with it.

I have talked at length with Tim at Broughton about this myself. I have used several of his barrels and like them very much. I have not how ever seen any accuracy difference in the 9.3 Broughton vs. the Hart 1-10, I also have one guy with a +P wearing a 1-11 Kreiger and shooting scary well at over 2000 yards. Our standard twist is 1-10, if you feel like you might want a 9.3 it won't hurt you a bit. My my opinion is that if you are shooting over 2600 at the muzzle then a 1-10 or better will make you pretty happy.

I have talked at length with Tim at Broughton about this myself. I have used several of his barrels and like them very much. I have not how ever seen any accuracy difference in the 9.3 Broughton vs. the Hart 1-10, I also have one guy with a +P wearing a 1-11 Kreiger and shooting scary well at over 2000 yards. Our standard twist is 1-10, if you feel like you might want a 9.3 it won't hurt you a bit. My my opinion is that if you are shooting over 2600 at the muzzle then a 1-10 or better will make you pretty happy.

So a 1:11 will stabilize the 300SMK? That's interesting. Is there much of a velocity improvement over the 1:10 or 1:9.3?

Tank

All I can say is in one case they stablize at a muzzle velocity of 3040 fps and shoot very well. If there is a velocity difference it is minimal at this point.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.