1/10 twist 22-250

Anton Chigurh

Hello guys. First post, but I have been reading there for a while.

I'm having a Ruger M77 mkII re-barelled to a medium contoured, Shilen 24". It will be a coyote gun. Mid range most likely. I handload and like NBT 55's and 53,55 gr Vmax's. I may like to try some 60 and 65 gr bullets, maybe gameking 65gr. So 1in10" would suit my needs, correct? Any downside to going 10 twist over 12?

My basic question is if I primarily want to shoot 55Gr polymer tips well, but might play around in the 60-65 gr range, would going with the slightly faster 1/10 over 1/12 be advisable? Or would it be smarter to not "overspin" lighter 50 somethings and forget the 60's by staying with 1/12 twist?

Thanks for any help provided.

Welcome to the forum!

1/10 and 1/9 twists are good general purpose 22 cal twists if you don't really want to go much over 70 grains. I'm spinning 75 grain priv. bullets in my 9" twist AR and that's about all she can handle. Even with the 22-250's speed I'd think a lighter bullet would be fine in a 9" or 10" twist as long as is isn't one of the super frangible bullets for the 222, etc..

I'd go with at the slowest a 9 twist. That way you have the option of using 70-75 grainers to extend your range. The lighter bullets will still be fine in a 9 twist.

Brent, you could be right. I do have an AR in 1/9,1/8 and a 243 for heavier bullets though. I really think I'll end up just shooting long 55 grainers mostly, but may play around with 60 and 65 gr bullets. I assume they'll be a point where faster twists will not shoot 55s quite as accurately at 22-250 velocities, but maybe I'm wrong.

Once you experience a twisted up 22-250 with 75 grain Amaxes or the like you will never want to shoot a light bullet again. The wind fighting capability of the heavy .224 bullets is far superior to the lighter bullets and the 22-250 is more than capable of pushing them hard enough.

The only downside you'll find is shorter barrel life with a FT barrel. brentc said it correctly wind drift becomes negligible when you get the BC and speed up. I'd imagine you could push a 65-68 grain slug to 3200 with a slow powder like 4831. With the 75 gr. slug you may have stabilization issues with a 9T. Just my experience.