.308Win + 110gr Monometal bullets ??

I've been using Benchmark and LRP Lapua cases with the 130 TTSX @ 3,130 ft/sec. What charge weight are you using with the 110g TTSX?
IMG_2811.JPG
24" shilen 15 twist.

I'm a Texas pig hunter with 308 ar10's one 20 inch with a brake and other 24 inch stainless match 11 degree crown. Just pig killing machines. I shoot so much that I buy boxes of 500. generally the good eaters are sub 300 and most we get are 60 - 250. In the spring they are lean.

But anyway 125 gr. TNT puts the hurts to them and in stock! I chronoed some the other day out of the 20 inch and the average was right at 3056 fps. they are down loaded for lots of shooting with a long case life.

What powder do you use for the AR10

Just for anyone who is interested;

I was getting sub .5moa @ 400yds using the following: -

130TTSX @ 165" off rifling - Fed 210M - LRP Lapua case - 46.5 Benchmark (which actually fits in the case w/o compression)
I crimped the latest batch using a Lee FCD but it looks like velocity and accuracy was better without using the die. The jury is still out on that one.

I recently put a new thermal on a .308 bolt rifle. The thermal has extremely short eye relief, actually stupid short IMO. I'd like to try and bring the recoil to a very low level. Currently shooting 130 TTSX and 124 Hammers. I'm going to give the 110gr TTSX a try. The set-up will be for shooting hogs under 200yds.

Does anyone have any experience using 110g monos in the .308Win? Any load data you'd like to share?
Out of curiosity, what kind of sight is it?

What powder do you use for the AR10
My AR10's are heavy duty like a bolt action rifle. Not lower pressure "308 Service Rifles" I burn through 8 pound jugs of TAC. Western reloading has loads coming up on 3269 fps for 125 grain. I use about 4 - 7 grains less than their max loads because I have 1000's of mil brass like Lake City. Mil Spec can have lots less volume than say Winchester or R&P. I only use large rifle. never mag primers.

I have rifle length plus two inch gas tubes. So my BCG is not getting pounded by massive pressure like a carbine, mid length, or even rifle length. I read somewhere that carbine gas tubes get hit with 30,000 psi, Mid length was 21,000 and rifle length was down to 14,000 psi. Short gas tubes also bleed off so much pressure that your MV is quite a bit less.

The rifle length and rifle +2 inches gas systems can take on 60.000 psi loads and just cycle fine even with lighter springs and less buffer tube weight.

Those 125 TNT explosive bullets really work well. I don't have suppressors. So the rapid fire AR's are great fun when the pigs are scattering every direction after the first shot.

Just for anyone who is interested;

I was getting sub .5moa @ 400yds using the following: -

130TTSX @ 165" off rifling - Fed 210M - LRP Lapua case - 46.5 Benchmark (which actually fits in the case w/o compression)
I crimped the latest batch using a Lee FCD but it looks like velocity and accuracy was better without using the die. The jury is still out on that one.
That's one great thing I love about the TTSX; they all shoot well out of all me guns. Even when their well off the lands.

My AR10's are heavy duty like a bolt action rifle. Not lower pressure "308 Service Rifles" I burn through 8 pound jugs of TAC. Western reloading has loads coming up on 3269 fps for 125 grain. I use about 4 - 7 grains less than their max loads because I have 1000's of mil brass like Lake City. Mil Spec can have lots less volume than say Winchester or R&P. I only use large rifle. never mag primers.

I have rifle length plus two inch gas tubes. So my BCG is not getting pounded by massive pressure like a carbine, mid length, or even rifle length. I read somewhere that carbine gas tubes get hit with 30,000 psi, Mid length was 21,000 and rifle length was down to 14,000 psi. Short gas tubes also bleed off so much pressure that your MV is quite a bit less.

The rifle length and rifle +2 inches gas systems can take on 60.000 psi loads and just cycle fine even with lighter springs and less buffer tube weight.

Those 125 TNT explosive bullets really work well. I don't have suppressors. So the rapid fire AR's are great fun when the pigs are scattering every direction after the first shot.
I have a 20 inch ar10, rifle length

I recently put a new thermal on a .308 bolt rifle. The thermal has extremely short eye relief, actually stupid short IMO. I'd like to try and bring the recoil to a very low level. Currently shooting 130 TTSX and 124 Hammers. I'm going to give the 110gr TTSX a try. The set-up will be for shooting hogs under 200yds.

Does anyone have any experience using 110g monos in the .308Win? Any load data you'd like to share?
If you use higher scope mounts it forces you to have your head in a more upright position when you shoot, thus keeping your eyebrow away from the scope during recoil. Works for me anyways.

I have a 20 inch ar10, rifle length
TAC, IMR 4166, AR-comp, A-2460, and Winchester 748. All get the speed up in 20 inch barrels. Those Speer TNT used to be about 11 cent's a piece when you bought boxes of 750. Just cheap fun shooting :)

Instead of expensive thermal optics lots of us use laser illuminators with our normal scopes. I've done quite a bit of stands and feeders on leased land along with air boats in north Texas, Denton area out to west Texas. We help out farmers!

Last edited:

I was thinking about what you posted. The type of stock has lots to do with perceived recoil. Dropped comb stocks cause the end of the barrel to rise when fired. target straight back stocks recoil straighter back. you don't even come off the target with lower powered rifles. I've shot some small eye relief high powered rifles with straighter stocks. Having a brake and barrel threaded is about as much as a new barrel and makes it longer. You might consider 18 -20 inch heavier contour barrel. barrel weight really cuts recoil

I've tried A2460 and TAC in a 24 inch barrel. With 16 inch you might need something with a faster burn rate.

In My heavy Savage 110 in 308 . Factory Stock Rifle, no tuning . I like 115 Grn. Berger FB target Bullets . I use 40.0 grns of 3031 Powder and get Good 100 Yard Groups. You might like them.

Attachments

• IMG_1699.JPG
    IMG_1699.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1813.JPG
    IMG_1813.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 38