270 110gr VMax

davkrat

Hello,
This is my first post here. I actually tried to post this last night but it didn't seem to work. I bought some of the sierra 90 gr varminter for my 270 Win for a light weigh practice round but the accuracy has always been terrible. I just saw the 110gr VMax which have a BC of .370 whih is much closer to the 130gr Nosler B-tips that my gun loves. Does anyone have any experience with these bullets in the 270 Win?

Secondly, I am considering having my Rem 700 rebarreled with a 24" barrel and was thinking about having it chambered for the 270 Ackley Improved. I can't find much info on the 270 AI, I did read that PO Ackley thought it was the least improved of all his cartridges. Is it worth it and how much improvement could I expect?
Thanks for all the great info on this site!

I have used 100 gr Speer hollow points in my .270 and they shoot very well. If your rifle likes 130 gr bullets, why don't you just get some cheap 130 gr bullets for practice rounds?

Sorry, I don't know anything about the .270 AI.

Davkrat, I don't think it's worth it to AI your 270. I don't think you will see that much of an improvement in the velocity. If you AI your 270 , your going to have to do a lot of fire forming. I don't think the Improvement will be worth all the trouble.

If your going to be shooting the 110 V-MAX at varmints, you will love it. They blow up varmints like no other bullet. I am having a 6x284 built, with a 1-12 twist barrel, to specifically shoot the 75grn and 87grn V-Max.

If you want to make an improvment with your 270, you might want to look at the 270 Allen Mag. Good look with your decision.

Wildcat

Welcome aboard.....

I shot the Sierra 60gr HP and Sierra 130 Boat Tail exclusively for 30 years in a 270Win. Both shot very accurately in the rifle.

If you are planning to get into LRH, I'd recommend shooting nothing but the 130s that you seem to like. The smaller bullet fall like a rock long before the 130s do.

Using the 130 all the time you'll come to know your rifle better for longer range stuff. Price difference isn't noticeable when you don't have to mess with different drop/click charts for different bullet. IThe 130 will take care of deer a lot farther than you think. The 270 on the rack shoots 140 Hornady SPBTs as good as any other bullet and has become the only one that is loaded for it.

FWIW......

My old barber is a firearm connoisseur if you will. He had a 270 Gibbs a couple years back. He was able to get right up on the heels of the 270 WM with it in a 26" barrel. He was getting 3400+ with the 130s and 3200+ with 150s. The Gibbs round is similar to the AI, but it has the shoulder moved forward.

That is the route I was going to go; however, a 280 AI has stolen my eye. Nosler is making the brass preformed for around $35 for 50ct. Saves some barrel life and sanity with no fireforming or brass-working. This will be the make-up of my second build. I have to get a 6- or 6.5x47 Lapua first.

My 270 win is a straight and it's my go to gun for the 48 states. My friend Kevin Weaver has a 270 imp, that is a assome rifle. He is a verey good gunsmith that has more Imp reamers than anyone I know. He has built several rifles my family, and we have three more on order. Give him a call you won't find a nicer guy anywhere, or more knowledgeble gunsmith any where.
Weaver Rifles
16850 Sage Creek Rd.
Peyton CO 80831
(719)683-3024
(719)337-0501

web page
Dr B

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.