powder for 110gr VMax in 270 Win?

davkrat

I loaded up some 270 Win with the 110gr VMax bullets, I only had H4831 on hand so that was what I used. It seems this powder is best with heavier bullets. Could one of you recomend a better powder for these light bullets?

Hi i have used lots of H4831 and IMR 4831 in 270's over the years but as you have found out it is just to slow for the best performence in a 270 with 110gr Projectiles The main problem is muzzle blast but with h4831SC you can load from 52.4gr as a starting load at 2800fps to 61.5gr as a Max load for 3300FPS so it is very versatile. as an option use H4350 withStarting load of48.5 for 2800fps and a Max load of 57gr for 3267fps.

As you see the 2 powders have a similar top velocity but the H4350 is a bit better in regaurd to muzzle blast. and is usualy a bit more accurate with the lighter projectiles. both powders are Extreem powders made here in Australia and are very stable in hot wether.

Cheers good Luck Bill
Australia

Well I did a little researce on this , and it seems the 4831s aren't really too bad of a choice for the 110s.
Just the slowest one listed in this reference.
One source indicates fastest powders starting at the 3031 range, goes all the way to the 4831s.
Listed H380, W760, and H450 showing the fastest speeds. This is an old manual and is pre RL-.. and AA....
Check out your burn rate chart for a ref.
Steves has some good choices, could be all of em.
http://stevespages.com/277_1_110.html

Also prolly depends on your barrel length a bit, faster powders favoring the shorter barrel... slower/longer.
This seems to be a rule of thumb that is not nessisarilly carved in stone.
Powder tune to barrel (thickness/configuration) evidently can change grouping.
I like trying to find a powder that does more that one particular load in one caliber.
I did get one slow powder for one heavy bullet load, and found it had much more use than expected. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Back to the point, I guess.
You might try the 4350s and get some utility with a heavier bullet also, or another in that range
.. like RL-19, W760, H414..
or go up in burn rate with a faster one in the 4064 range (imr4064, varget,N-202)
that could find some use in anotter caliber or bullet wieght. I havn't tried RL-12/15 for anything (yet).
Hopefully this can help get the ball rolling for you. You know someone will come on here
and dump a magic load on ya that'll hit a nats' booty? at 400. or lets hope so.
Good Luck
Mark

In my 700...

49.0g of 3031, with a Fed 210 primer shot real well at 3350 fps. I would love to shoot a coyote with this load!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts