308win bullet and weight for wife’s gun?

zr600

Ok my wife has a 308win I wondering what bullet to use in it and powder? It will get used for hinting deer, moose, elk maybe longest range would be 300 yards.

I'm having really good luck with 168 berger classic hunter. 24" barrel is getting 2780 fps and great accuracy. On game performance with elk, deer, antelope and barbary sheep has been fantastic

Well I think I'm going to give the 150 accubond a try I have some do you think that is to light? I was thinking either varget it h4895.

Nope, not in my opinion. Running 155 berger hvlds out of an 18" 308 suppressed and have had great results. The accubond is a good bullet. At the distances you say, you shouldn't be disappointed.

If you stay away form bone in the elk and moose you should be ok with the 150 AB. Either powder you spoke of will work. If you want to give another bullet a try for the deer give the 125 Nosler BT a try it has lots less felt recoil than 150s. Just keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps and man is it a deer killer. It is all I use in my 30 cal. firearms for deer and has done great to a little over 300 yards out of the 308 Win. I use 46 grs IMR 4895, WW case, CCI BR2, in my 308 Win 21 1/2" Heart barrel does right at 3000 fps and shoots bug holes. This load has worked great in a number of rifles that I have gotten people to give it a try.

152 gr hammer hunter is worth a look. I'll bet 3000 fps is doable. A 143 hammer hunter in my 280AI at 3120 did great on 2 elk this year

Curious as to why you chose the 143 hammer over the heavier 7mm from hammer? If my 280 AI barrel ever shows up I'm going to take a hard look at hammer.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.