308 Win Sierra 165 Gameking BTSP?

BoomFlop

Looking for experiences and thoughts on the 165 gr Sierra GameKing BTSP performance on whitetails. Not concerned with its BC for my situation as shots will be pretty close. Factory Federal Premium at 2700 (less for my 20" Rem LTR in 308 Win)?

Thanks all,
Steve

If you have them already they work just fine! If not the speer btsp is a even less expensive bullet that works just fine

Okie I am not worried about the cost, and currently I need factory ammo.

Have heard the GameKings shoot really close to the Gold Metal Match that I will use for target practice.

I have found that the game kings do shoot similar to the match kings that are loaded in GMM. I have not tested at long range to confirm.

Looking for experiences and thoughts on the 165 gr Sierra GameKing BTSP performance on whitetails. Not concerned with its BC for my situation as shots will be pretty close. Factory Federal Premium at 2700 (less for my 20" Rem LTR in 308 Win)?

Thanks all,
Steve
I like the sierra game kings in 180 grain, I have tried the 165 but dont know why they wouldn't work as well ! For me the 180 is the bullet for the 308 !

Thanks all,
Steve

We have used the 165 gr Sierra btsp for many years we have five sons and we hunt
yearly I have no idea as to how many deer this bullet has harvested but our sons started hunting at twelve and are in their 40's now. I like they quickly dispatch and animal. Four 308's and the rest 06's. Great bullet.

I began using the 165GKBT in the 70's, and from 30-06 and 308's, it performed very well on whitetail. Between my brothers and friends I loaded for, this bullet killed hundreds of deer through the decades.

I can't remember ever recovering one, as they always passed through with usual half dollar exit holes. Internal damage was always very good with many DRT kills.

Thanks all,
Steve
Great load for deer and a .308

I've been using that bullet in .308 Win. and 30-06 for many years. Never failed to perform perfectly. The Federal Premium in 30-06 is a great round for deer and black bear, and I've never felt the need for a "better" bullet. Also very accurate, which helps bring out the best in any bullet's terminal performance.

My shots will all be under 200 yards and probably under 100 yards. I am looking for a bullet that expands more rapidly than a Hornady Interlok and Remington Corelok.

Would you all say this bullet does? Sounds like it because the exits I've been getting are about the size of a penny and not close to a half dollar.

Thanks all
Steve

Thanks all,
Steve
Excellent bullet for longer ranges also. Sierra makes a 150 GK also. Maybe better for a little closer shooting loaded around 2700 fps

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.