270 win sierra gameking for elk?

otis348

I was going to pick up some accubonds for the upcoming elk hunt. Was looking at the Gamekings. Anybody tried any and how did they work?

Have only used gameking bullets for whitetails, 130 grains, all of them DRT. Not long range shots though.

I've used the 130 Sierra Boat Tail for years. Have taken many mule deer with it.

Learned that the longer the range the better. Loaded hot, 3190 fps, anything closer than 250 yards the damage was brutal. Much loss of meet. Sometimes the entire front half.

130 Ballistic tips shot exceedingly well. Have not taken any animals except yotes. Works really well. Tears 'em up.

I really prefer the Hornady HPSP in 140 grain for use in the 270 Win for deer and elk when I happen to be carrying that rifle.

If you have a typical chamber, use CCI 200 primers, RL-22 and seat the hornady with the back of the cannelure exactly at the mouth of the case as a starting point.

Justa suggestion

The game king in .270 cal has way to thin a jacket and way to soft antimony lead for elk. Great deer bullet though and very accurate. I would go to a tougher constructed bullet for elk.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.