308 win with Speer 165 grain BTSP bullets

johngibbs222

I have a Ruger #1 in 308 winchester which I plan to use on two upcoming hunts, one for Fallow deer and the other for wild boars.
The load I've worked up is Federal brass, S&B LR primers, 46.9 grains of CFE 223 behind speer's 165 grain BTHP. I was fortunate enough to get the use of a chrono at the range and 3 shots averaged just under 2700 fps 15 feet from the muzzle, the group was about an inch at 100 yards. My brass is necksized as befits a single shot rifle and no pressure signs have been seen.
The place where the deer are to be stalked is in an area where shots may be up to 300 yards and where the boar are the shots will be from a high seat with a range of up to 100 yards but more like half of that.
Will these bullets be up for it? They are the basic Speer softpoints, not hot core. I realise they are old technology and can change to another type of bullet if I must, but I'd prefer to stay with the speers.
The deer are does and likely to be up to 110 pounds in weight, the boars slightly heavier.
Any comments welcome.
PS meant to say it was a really cold day when I chronographed the loads around 0 degrees C.

Last edited:
The pig I shot was with Speer 180gr Mag Tip 30-06. It was around 125lbs on the hoof and the shot was around 50 yards. Completely took out the heart and lungs but the pig still ran uphill 400 yards. Pigs can be tough, even the small ones.

Given the range and velocity of you hunt I'd say you're okay even with old technology bullets. They designed for your velocities. I'd just double check with Speer on impact velocities and pick your shots.

Looks like speers ain't flavour of the month.
I love the Speer 165 grain boat tails in 308 and 30-06, they will work down to about 1800 fps (around 700 yards at 30-06 velocity) and don't fail at the close ranges at up to 2900 fps. As for flavour of the month, probably not but that's probably cause you can't buy them in 6.5 needmoor. I have put them through the same hole at 100 yards (literally the same hole with no obturation of the hole in the paper) and that's more than enough accuracy for any deer or hog in proper hunting ranges. Have shot targets out to 800 with them from my homemade 30-06 and put ruger precision rifles to shame. They are a very underestimated bullet.

Covid cancelled my hunts 😭. I subsequently bought a magneto speed chrono and loaded some more with another 120 fps coming at the muzzle with the dne load of cfe 223. Accuracy is 1.5" groups of 3 shots at 100 yards rapid fire, waiting 5 mins between shots tightened the group up. I also fitted a zeiss scope in place of the redfield Widefield scope on there and it's now shooting about an inch groups which is OK for me. This is shooting prone with a bipod, groups open up a bit when shooting off of sticks but still acceptable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts