Sierra 165gr. BTHP Gameking and the .308 Win

STEEL SLINGER

I have a coworker that has asked me to load some .308 Win hunting ammo for him. The bullet he wants to use is the Sierra #2140 165gr. BTHP Gameking. I am not familiar with this particular bullet, but I am with the 165gr. BTSP and it is a very good deer hunting bullet. I asked if the HP was correct and he replied that he and his family have used it for 20 years in their .308's and `06's with stellar results. So I did a little research and read many reviews regarding this HP bullet and there seems to be some facts to his love of this bullet. One thing that sticks out to me is that Sierra states that this bullet is a tad stouter in construction that its 165gr. BTSP counter part. So, my question is; does the BTHP expand and perform well at the .308 Win velocities ie. 2750/2800 FPS or is it more opted for much higher velocity cartridges, `06 and .30 cal magnums? I'm just looking for real world experience with this bullet for my own knowledge, mainly because it has been around for sometime and I've never noticed it or heard of hunters using it. Thanks in advance for your replies.

This bullet is a great deer bullet in the 06 or 308. I have never noticed any difference in accuracy between them and the 168 Match King. They work through semi-auto rifles like a FMJ. I have used them in my M1 Garand to kill deer with. Most all my deer shooting with this bullet has been under 300 yards so I don't know how the bullet expands when the velocity slows down at yardage beyond 300 but inside 300 it is a great bullet.

RT2506,

Thank you for the reply. Seems like you're the only person who knows about this bullet - LOL! I'm going to play with it a little myself and see what it is all about. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.