308 vs 300 win mag out to 400-500yards

308 vs 300win mag under 500 yards on deer

Votes: 48 56.5%
  • 300win mag

Votes: 37 43.5%

• Total voters

Bigeclipse

Ok guys I know a 308 would be fine out to 400 and peobably 500 yards on deer but which caliber would you get for inside 500 yards between the two? Obviously most would say the recoil of the 300 is not needed for those ranges(lets pretend neither have muzzle brakes). I just cant help myself and grab the 300 cannon even at shorter distances of 200 yards haha so I wanted to see what most you on here would grab for these distances...please vote between the two calibers listed but feel free to post any calibers other than these on the thread itself :)

I chose the .308 for those ranges
The .308 recoil is light there fore I can concentrate on bullet placement not the scope eye I might get if I'm not holding the .300 right.

And I'm a broke *** reloader so the .308 can get the 500 yard deer with less powder. Past 500 yards the 300 shines in every way. That being said I wouldn't switch from my 3006 till I new that a shot past 800yrds was possible. For the simple reason that I know this rifle very well and I know what its going to do out there with just about every wind situation that I'm going to encounter...

I voted 300win.... you can throttle down a 300win but you can't throttle up a 308 enough to make a difference if it is borderline... I've also shot a bunch of deer at anywhere from 30 yards to 500 yards with my 300win and it's never failed to go through and leaves clockwork hanging out the other side most of the time.
I guess it also depends on the deer size; if a cocker spaniel is bigger I'd think of a 308 or 7-08 then. For northern mule deer, I'll put a bigger hit on them every time.

I have used the 300wm to down deer since 1988. My wife uses a 308. The extra horse power of the 300wm when it comes to potential long ranges makes it my go to rifle. The shoot travel radius of a deer hit with it; also keeps the dead deer from going over the ridge to be tagged by someone else.

I chose .308 Win, because it's a phenomenal caliber for inside of 500 yard hunting. The old tried & true .30-06 is also a great caliber for sub-500 yard deer.

If you just want the extra horsepower, the .300 WM is a great caliber, too. And will definitely hit with more authority than the other 2.

I voted 300 Win mag.

You don't *have* to use the fastest/most heavy duty ammo for it choose the appropriate bullet/velocity and for deer-sized game under 500yds it'll do just fine. This can be done without massive destruction if you choose a hefty/high SD bullet (that doesn't blow up on impact).

I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but not overly fond of it either and the 300 Win is easily tolerable (without a brake that is). With a brake it would be a pussycat.

Out to 500 yards, no brake I'll take the 308 every time!! I'm running 215 Bergers in mine and have no intention or reason to not shoot well past 500 yards with it. Also have a 300 Win but I doubt it will stay around long!

This is a lot closer than I would have expected. I would have sworn almost everyone would be grabbing the 308 lol I guess there are more like me who just simply love bigger cannons.

Alot of people underestimate the .308 Win's capabilities because they only remember their grandpa's old slow clunky .308......With today's technology, the .308 Win has become a badass round again.

I myself, shoot the Berger 210 VLD's in mine, and it is capable well beyond 500 yards. It also shoots .3 MOA groups @ 100 yards. Possibly smaller, if I can try it strapped into a lead-sled.

If I was going to use a .308 for 500yrd. Deer I would work up an accurate load using the 178gr. Amax

If I was going to use a .308 for 500yrd. Deer I would work up an accurate load using the 178gr. Amax
The Berger 185 VLD would be just as slippery, if not more so than the AMax with controlled expansion, and nowhere near as fragile (won't blow up). :D

Berger 185 VLD will be a better bullet...

Quick BC comparrison...

Amax - .495

Berger 185 VLD - .549

The Berger 185 VLD would be just as slippery, if not more so than the AMax with controlled expansion, and nowhere near as fragile (won't blow up). :D

Berger 185 VLD will be a better bullet...

Quick BC comparrison...

Amax - .495

Berger 185 VLD - .549
Yea I've been wanting to try those 185s they have close to the same BC as my 200 gr. Smks but I think at 500yrds and closer the BC doesn't matter as much to me.but farther out I would look for higher BC bullets. Any bullet with a BC of 495 and higher does just fine for me out to 500 - 600 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts