.308 Reloading question

Clayne B

Ok, I have a load that shoots VERY good out of my Rem 700 sps varmint. And it looks like I am going to have to change it.

I have been single feeding my rifle, But I have a coyote hunting competition in a week and a half and will be shooting the .308

Current Load
168gr A-max
over all length 2.947 (problem is it wont fit in the internal mag)
43.5 gr varget.

So my question is do you think i will over pressure seating the bullets i have loaded back .147 more? to reach an over all length of 2.800.

I am new to this whole reloading stuff so any input would appreciated

from my limited experience, no, i don't think you will. I've shot very similar set ups to that, with 178 A-max, and didn't have any problems. That was with my rifle though, so, be careful with yours.

FWIW, If I remember correctly, moving a bullet toward the rifling is more likely to cause pressure problems due to reduced jump, if I remember correctly.

You should not have high pressure if you seat your bullet at 2.8". I have used that load in 3 different rifles with no problems at all. I also suspect you will be able to hold your accuracy with that bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.