Reloading Question 2

Bigeclipse

Ok so I have another reloading question. I have scowered the web for this but wanted your take on this. So I have recently started reloading. I finally worked up a couple batches for my 300WSM(X-bolt) and My 3006 (remington mountain SS). I shot the 300wsm first and was surprised that with the nosler accubond it shot AMAZING with almost all loads I tried...One ragged hole at 100 yards. I hadnt even started messing with bullet depth.

Well I had the opposite results with the 3006. Ok so this is what I have tried...RL22 60 and 60.5 grains with 180 grain partitions. Both yielded 1.5 MOA. I still have to try the 61, 61.5 and 62 loads but my question is...with 1.5MOA with the other loads, is it basically a waste of time to try these other loads i.e. probably wont be much better or could one of those loads suddenly drop below 1MOA? I do have another powder to test...so it might shoot better with that powder(H4350 I believe).
NOTE- This 3006 has shot factory remington corelokts at about .75MOA, nosler premium 165s at 1.25MOA, federal fusions 180s at 1MOA so I was expecting my reloads to get the same OR BETTER...

It looks like reloading has shown you both sides of the coin right off the bat.

First off consider yourself fortunate with the 300 wsm because its nice when things happen like that, and when it does i usually just stick with the magic load and enjoy. Why fix what aint broke right?

With the 06 i would definitely keep working up in .5 gn increments with rl22. Its nice to know where your max is and you could hit a better accuracy node along the way. After that you can tune to .2 gn loads and even play with seating depth. Be careful not to make too large of changes too quickly and keep a sharp eye on your cases and primers for signs of pressure. After that, if you still arent satisfied move on to different powders, bullets, and even primers to see if you can find something that gun likes. Assuming you arent having a different issue with the rifle thats keeping it from shooting better groups.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.

It looks like reloading has shown you both sides of the coin right off the bat.

First off consider yourself fortunate with the 300 wsm because its nice when things happen like that, and when it does i usually just stick with the magic load and enjoy. Why fix what aint broke right?

, if you still arent satisfied move on to different powders, bullets, and even primers to see if you can find something that gun likes. Assuming you arent having a different issue with the rifle thats keeping it from shooting better groups.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.

Thanks for your input. I used this rifle during this past hunting season and it was shooting well with the corelokts so I think the rifle/scope are fine. As far as the loads go I still have 3 more groups of .5 grain increments before I approach max so hopefully that accuracy node you speak of is somewhere around there. I wasnt sure if 1.5MOA with the other loads was an indication of simply that gun hates that powder/bullet combo and while I might get better than 1.5MOA I probably wouldnt get much better OR was there still hope with these other loads for sub MOA. I am new to reloading so I was hoping to avoid max loads for awhile at least until I gain more experience. It could be the rifle doesnt like the bullet. I have some sierra gamekings I was thinking of trying but I dont have a sierra reloading manual. Currently I have the nosler manual only. Ill have to order the sierra manual as well.

I wasnt sure if 1.5MOA with the other loads was an indication of simply that gun hates that powder/bullet combo and while I might get better than 1.5MOA I probably wouldnt get much better OR was there still hope with these other loads for sub MOA.

It could mean that but to know for sure you will have to test further.

I am new to reloading so I was hoping to avoid max loads for awhile at least until I gain more experience.

I think regardless of your experience level, this is a good idea. I prefer to stay away from near max loads in order for safety and extending componet life.

It could be the rifle doesnt like the bullet. I have some sierra gamekings I was thinking of trying but I dont have a sierra reloading manual. Currently I have the nosler manual only. Ill have to order the sierra manual as well.

This is a good idea. I think sierra makes fine bullets and they usually shoot well in a large variety of rifles. You dont need a sierra manual to load sierra bullets. Simply find the starting load for a copper jacketed lead core bullet in the same weight from your nosler guide and begin working up from that load until you find a sweet spot or start seeing pressure signs. Be sure that you are using a similar primer as the guide as well. A magnum primer will cause a rise in pressure and may be unsafe. If only max loads are listed, reduce by 10%.

It could mean that but to know for sure you will have to test further.

I think regardless of your experience level, this is a good idea. I prefer to stay away from near max loads in order for safety and extending componet life.

This is a good idea. I think sierra makes fine bullets and they usually shoot well in a large variety of rifles. You dont need a sierra manual to load sierra bullets. Simply find the starting load for a copper jacketed lead core bullet in the same weight from your nosler guide and begin working up from that load until you find a sweet spot or start seeing pressure signs. Be sure that you are using a similar primer as the guide as well. A magnum primer will cause a rise in pressure and may be unsafe. If only max loads are listed, reduce by 10%.

Thanks again...when you say I can use my nosler manual...is this what you mean...

Current bullet Sierra game king 30cal 180 grains (it is a jacketed boattail design)

So find a Nosler 30cal 180 grain boattail design bullet in the nosler manual (which I believe the accubond is) and I may be able to simply use there min/max loads to start out with...while looking for pressure signs of course?

I think you'd have a bit better luck with the sierra or a hornady in the '06 than a partition. Partitions aren't known as the most accurate bullets; if you can get them below moa you are usually doing at least o.k.. Might try 4350 or 4831 in the 06 also with your 180's. I've shot rl22 with 180's in a '06 and it did well, but all rifles are a law unto themselves and this one may just not like this powder and'or bullet.

For gits and shiggles shove a few accubonds through the '06 as you are already using them in your wsm. I have found the accubond to do well in a few different rifles I own in various cals..

I think you'd have a bit better luck with the sierra or a hornady in the '06 than a partition. Partitions aren't known as the most accurate bullets; if you can get them below moa you are usually doing at least o.k.. Might try 4350 or 4831 in the 06 also with your 180's. I've shot rl22 with 180's in a '06 and it did well, but all rifles are a law unto themselves and this one may just not like this powder and'or bullet.

For gits and shiggles shove a few accubonds through the '06 as you are already using them in your wsm. I have found the accubond to do well in a few different rifles I own in various cals..

I will be loading some of the sierras first as I'm saving the accubonds I currently have for my 300wsm...thanks for the tips though! if the sierras do poorly then ill try some accubonds

Big- you do not say what you are shooting at. i shoot 165 btsp and 168 cbt , and 168 berger in my 30-06s. use varget ( 50.5) or I4064 and lapua brass. 210m or br-2 . . 030 off. my remington mountain rifle will shoot .5". kicks quite a bit because it is light. the trigger and scope are awesome though.

Big- you do not say what you are shooting at. i shoot 165 btsp and 168 cbt , and 168 berger in my 30-06s. use varget ( 50.5) or I4064 and lapua brass. 210m or br-2 . . 030 off. my remington mountain rifle will shoot .5". kicks quite a bit because it is light. the trigger and scope are awesome though.

These are strictly hunting rifles. The 3006 will be used for under 400 yards on deer and black bear. The loads I currently tried are nosler 180 grain partitions with 60 and 60.5 grains rl22. The book max is 62 grains. I have loaded up some 61, 61.5, and 62 grains. I am new to reloading so I do not really like loading at max or let alone above max. My goal is to get loads below 1 MOA. Obviously .5MOA would be great but I wouldnt cry if I was only able to get right around 1 MOA. I will try these loads, then I will try my H4350. I also have some sierra gamekings in 180 grains I might give a shot as well.

I have not checked my action screws since before hunting season...so I may have to check those. I think I had the front and rear action screws right around 40inch/lbs...that was from remington...not sure if it is what it should be. The remington mountain SS comes with a bell and carlson stock which seems to be decent. I believe it is aluminum bedding. Not sure if it has pillars or not...advice on action screw torque would be appreciated as well.

I have two 30-06's, one Ruger 77 and a Rem 700. Both of like IMR 4350. I use 56.5grs with either a 165gr Sierra BTHP or 165gr Nosler BT. Very accurate load out of my rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.