Scope alignment question?, reloading question?

wbyfireman

I was shooting at 200yds yesterday for groups and found myself "loosing" some shots in random directions. Most shots were one inch groups one inch high, except for the "flyers" which were 2-3" apart but usually left!! Could this have to do with aligning up differently behind the scope each time. I was using a lead sled and found myself positioned differently on occasion in order to get comfortable from shot to shot.?

Scope is a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 caliber-7mm
Also found my pressures a little high, I even popped a primer for the first time in 100 shots with the same load (Temp outside was 105 degrees) how much should I back off? .5gr?

65.5gr IMR 7828 7mm, 168gr Berger

Thanks so much, still fairly new at this addictive "hobby":D

Funny I'm reading this today, today I was seating primers to start loading development for my 7 mm with imr7828. My book lists 7828ssc .Starting 59.5 to 65.5 I believe. . Are you using a chrono? Vel.?

Funny I'm reading this today, today I was seating primers to start loading development for my 7 mm with imr7828. My book lists 7828ssc .Starting 59.5 to 65.5 I believe. . Are you using a chrono? Vel.?
I use the same load as the OP in my lightweight hunting 7mmRM (65.5gr 7828SSC, 168 VLD, Fed 215M primer, Nosler brass). 26"barrel. Giving my 3,115 fps with my Magnetospeed V2.

I was shooting at 200yds yesterday for groups and found myself "loosing" some shots in random directions. Most shots were one inch groups one inch high, except for the "flyers" which were 2-3" apart but usually left!! Could this have to do with aligning up differently behind the scope each time. I was using a lead sled and found myself positioned differently on occasion in order to get comfortable from shot to shot.?

Scope is a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 caliber-7mm
Also found my pressures a little high, I even popped a primer for the first time in 100 shots with the same load (Temp outside was 105 degrees) how much should I back off? .5gr?

65.5gr IMR 7828 7mm, 168gr Berger

Thanks so much, still fairly new at this addictive "hobby":D
Yes, lining up behind the scope different will affect it. One of my buddies shoots my guns and almost everytime he does he's shooting to the left or right, whereas it's set perfectly for me.

You just got to practice practice practice. Trigger time is the most important factor to proficient shooting.

same load!! i use 65.5gr IMR 7828ssc and getting 3080 out of a 24" barrel, OAl 3.415 however im going to back it off .5gr (60.0gr) due to shooting in the high heat here in arizona the pressures are too much in the summer. gun)

Yes, lining up behind the scope different will affect it. One of my buddies shoots my guns and almost everytime he does he's shooting to the left or right, whereas it's set perfectly for me.

You just got to practice practice practice. Trigger time is the most important factor to proficient shooting.

thanks much

I dont suppose you adjusted your parallax setting for 200 yards?
If it stayed set on 100 or wherever, that might change poi at 200
If your eye was improperly or inconsistently centered in the eyepiece.

I dont suppose you adjusted your parallax setting for 200 yards?
If it stayed set on 100 or wherever, that might change poi at 200
If your eye was improperly or inconsistently centered in the eyepiece.

I focused the parallax to where the sight picture was clear. Nightforce does not have distances on their parallax adjustments

Get rid of the lead sled...not the best rest out there for what you're trying to do

a decent front rest and a rear bag is what you should use

I bought a lead sled years ago, used it once & got rid of it for this very reason, then went to the caldwell rock BR rest...it's not the best on the market, but much better than a lead sled

I use a leather bag for a rear rest...more than likely an Edgewood brand IIRC

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.