.308 muzzle velocity, with 20 inch tactical barrel?

7stw

Guys, I'm contemplating a tactical remmy rifle with 20 inch barrel. I hunt from a tree stand, well supported, and will find it handier to maneuver turns, within the stand. My question is, will I sacrifice, too much velocity, seeing that most shots, will be inside 500 yds.
Or, should I consider other options? Thanks. Thoughts?

Last edited:
I wouldn't think it would be a problem unless you're looking for a screamer in the first place. Before taking it to my smith, I was getting 2596 FPS out of my 20" factory 700 tactical barrel with a 1:12" twist, using 168 gr Amax, Lapua brass, 42.4 gr IMR 4895, and Fed 210. I just got it back from the smith- had it threaded for a suppressor. The barrel is relatively new- about 85 rounds, so when it settles it should speed up a bit and I still need to chrono it again now that I have a can on the end of it.

Last edited:
image.jpg

I have a .308 BLR with 18.5" bbl. I get ~2600 with 165gr AB's Haven't shot anything past 300yd with it yet but my ballistic table suggests my loads should have adequate velocity for expansion to 500yd.

The .308 is a very efficient cartridge. From what I understand, it only needs an 18" barrel for a complete burn with mid-hvy bullets.

Here is some data on velocity vs bbl length. Seems to avg ~20fps/in

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/30...ato-barrel-length-versus-velocity-28-to-16-5/

I have a 308 Rem 700 with 20" 1:10 twist barrel and I find that I only loose around 75 fps with the 20" versus 24" all things being equal. I am using a load that get's me to 2650 fps which delivers 1000 lbs of energy out to ~700 yds. All this without any signs of pressure. Hard to imagine that you would need to reach out any farther than that hunting from a tree stand.

7stw, I have the rem 700 sps tactical with 20" heavy barrel 1-10 twist. When I started working on loads for accuracy I ended up with 168 amax under 43.5 gr of varget somewhere around 2550 fps. I have been very happy with it and have good results on our small deer. I was a bit concerned with the short barrel at first but it has been great and very accurate.

thanks
buck

Guys, I'm contemplating a tactical remmy rifle with 20 inch barrel. I hunt from a tree stand, wendell supported, and will find it handier to maneuver turns, within the stand. My question is, will I sacrifice, too much velocity, seeing that most shots, will be inside 500 yds.
Or, should I consider other options? Thanks. Thoughts?
20" .308 Win will be just fine for 500 yard shooting.

Here's my recommendation...

5R rifled 20" heavy barrel, HS Precision stock, stainless action and barrel, BDL mag setup, 5/8x24 threads, and proven track record of accuracy. Hard to beat for that price.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...terfire/Remington+Model+700+SS+5-R+.308WIN+20

7stw, I have the rem 700 sps tactical with 20" heavy barrel 1-10 twist. When I started working on loads for accuracy I ended up with 168 amax under 43.5 gr of varget somewhere around 2550 fps. I have been very happy with it and have good results on our small deer. I was a bit concerned with the short barrel at first but it has been great and very accurate.

thanks
buck
Buck, the rifle I am considering, is similar to the one you have. It does have a 10 twist, and from what I'm told very accurate.
I presently hunt this stand, and one across the field, just like it, but with a longish rifle, its difficult, to do a about turn, if need be, with such.
With a shorter, compact rifle, it would be a piece of cake. Just am not sure on the velocity loss, versus the convenience game.
How is the accuracy on your rig? Thanks.
Any other thoughts, anyone?

Last edited:
308 is a great round to run with a short barrel. It's very efficient at burning the powder because of bore ratio to powder burn rates. You should be good to go.

I read an article a few years ago about a guy who started with a 308 barrel at 30" and cut it back to 13" I think in 2" increments, I think around 17" was when you really began to lose velocity, but the accuracy increased with the shorter barrel, because of less barrel whip from it being shorter.

View attachment 87179

I have a .308 BLR with 18.5" bbl. I get ~2600 with 165gr AB's Haven't shot anything past 300yd with it yet but my ballistic table suggests my loads should have adequate velocity for expansion to 500yd.

The .308 is a very efficient cartridge. From what I understand, it only needs an 18" barrel for a complete burn with mid-hvy bullets.

https://rifleshooter.com/2014/12/30...ato-barrel-length-versus-velocity-28-to-16-5/
Handskills, I just looked at the attachment, am amazed at How LITTLE drop there is from 24 to 20. And actually, from 26 to 20, really isn't that bad.
I have been shooting 26 in , in the magnums, but do not need that in this situation, and its just to big.
Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for
308 is a great round to run with a short barrel. It's very efficient at burning the powder because of bore ratio to powder burn rates. You should be good to go.

I read an article a few years ago about a guy who started with a 308 barrel at 30" and cut it back to 13" I think in 2" increments, I think around 17" was when you really began to lose velocity, but the accuracy increased with the shorter barrel, because of less barrel whip from it being shorter.
Thanks for reply, I am very familiar with .308, but never really thought of it as a short gun, and have never considered a abbreviated version of one til now. Didn't really realize how LITTLE loss there really is. I've always shot this stand overgunned, ( is there such a thing). But I think the TACTICAL rifle is the ticket.

View attachment 87179

I have 20, 22 and 24 and there is a difference in velocity but not substantial per my magnetospeed. I usually take the 20" to the blind or tree stand and 24" to the range, for the reasons you mention and assure you the game doesn't notice a difference. When I want more velocity above hand loads I use either the 150 or 165 superformance 308 factory ammo and it is faster per their advertising. Not as accurate as Gmm match or hand loads but plenty accurate for hunting.

Handskills, I just looked at the attachment, am amazed at How LITTLE drop there is from 24 to 20. And actually, from 26 to 20, really isn't that bad.
I have been shooting 26 in , in the magnums, but do not need that in this situation, and its just to big.
Thanks for the feedback.
You're welcome 7stw! I agree, interesting stuff.

I found that fascinating as well. I think this might be it;

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...t-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.