308 mag

It would be an older wildcat. A member here might have one. You can do a net search and read about it. Similar to the 30-06 in performance. Can't see any advantage in making one now that we have the 300 WSM or the 300 RCM. Brass has to be harder to find. But who can stop a rifle looney intent on something different.

The term "308 Mag" usually refers to the 308 Norma Magnum. It's good good long range cartridge when used in a 3.6 magazine like a Rem 700.LA. It's very similar to the 30-338 Win. wildcat but it's a factory cartridge. In my opinion both the 30-338 and the 308 Norma are far better long range hunting cartridges than a 30-350 Rem Mag would be since the 30-350 Rem Mag can't handle heavy low drag bullets, at least not if used in a standard short action rifle with a 2.8" magazine as Remington always gave the 350 Rem Mag.

308 Norma Mag 2.559 case length, 86.5 grain case cap, 63817 psi
30-350 Rem Mag 2.165 case length, 72 grain case cap, 61989 psi

The "standard" 30-350 Rem Mag wildcat has a 3.00" COAL and will not fit standard 2.8" short action magazines.

I like the 300 Norma Mag, but it didn't gain much popularity? I would think the brass is acarce like my 7stw. Another guy on here is testing a 7-300 wm. I wonder what the case capacity of that will be. I guess I could check the 300 wm. I like the 30 caliber right now though. I already have a 7-stw. I want the next step up in 30 cal. I think it's the 300 weatherby. but i'm still thinking.

300 win or 300 rum; end of story. Easy enough to get brass without getting ripped off, better barrel life than anything bigger, and good accuracy if the builder has a clue at all. Hell, I've got one of each that will regularly dump 1" groups at 200 yards if you do your part. If you want to get punched or are willing to use a brake, the rum is the ticket. If shooting from prone without a brake and you don't want to eat the scope, the 300 win is the ticket. YMMV. The rum will do 10% more weight to the same speed if both are the same barrel length.

I like the 300 Norma Mag, but it didn't gain much popularity? I would think the brass is acarce like my 7stw. Another guy on here is testing a 7-300 wm. I wonder what the case capacity of that will be. I guess I could check the 300 wm. I like the 30 caliber right now though. I already have a 7-stw. I want the next step up in 30 cal. I think it's the 300 weatherby. but i'm still thinking.
The 300 win killed both the 30-338 and the 308 norma with cheaper rifles and ammo. The 7-300 win is so close to the other 7's that it only finds traction with the people who want more than the 7mag but don't want an stw or rum. I want the boiler room myself, I can always slow the dang thing down.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.