.308 vrs .300 Win Mag

forest

Hi guys was just looking your views on the two calibres above.
I have the bug again and thinking of saving to make a buy!
I would be using it for hunting deer and the local range which stretches out to 1200yards. Although I cant ever see myself shooting out to that distance.
I was just looking to find out what the pros and cons are for these rounds? If any?
I was also thinking of buying a rem 700 is that the way to go?
Any help would be great thanks.
Have used a .308 but never.300WM.

Last edited:
Went .300WinMag years ago, see no reason for me to ever own another .308. Really no comparison.
Big brother, little brother.
You might be able to get a .300 to mimic a .308 ballistics wise, but a .308 will never match a .300.
JohnnyK.

Cheers I don't know enough about either round I am using a .308 but thinking of a change. Would you guys get the rifle screw cut? I like feeling the full punch of the firearm. Is there much of a difference when I move up? Also would you advise me to keep the .308 or sell if I went for a .300WM.
I hope to try my arm at a bit of long range shooting at the range over time.
Thanks for the help.

cerakote-026.jpg

There is so much difference that there is another caliber that falls in the middle, 30-06. Going to a 300wm will trump in every aspect with more recoil which sounds like it isn't a problem.

If youre building a gun just for shooting (targets) and dont plan on shooting out to your available 1200 yds. I see no reason not to lean toward the 308. It is easier to load for, cheaper, softer on the shoulder and long barrel life.

Now if you are wanting to hone your skills enough to beat up that 1200 yard plate and move from the range to the fields to apply these skills to hunting, the 308 simply cannot match the raw power of the 300wm. Ballistically, it is far superior to the 308.

I own a pair of Rem 700 Milspecs in 308 and 300WN that are set up comparably in just about every respect, trigger, stock, scope. The 300 has a muzzle brake. I prefer the 308 out to 700-800 yards, the 300 for anyhthing further for targets, competition. For hunting medium game and larger past 500 yards I will use the 300. I personally won't use the 300 with any kind of high volume shooting without the muzzle brake on it. If you were satisfied with the current performance of your 308, the 300 would make a nice addition in capability, particularly if you found yourself looking seriously at the 1200 yard targets. If not, and you have yet to master high precision shooting out to 500-800 yards I would lean towards a getting a 308 that was capable. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.