300WSM and Magpro

Celt

We have a load that shot pretty good so far with the 300 WSM and a 175GR SMK from a 1-10" twist barrel. The chamber is cut with a min spec reamer with a .3085" parralel throat. Same throat dimensions that the 308 M-852 match reamer uses.

Has anyone else had any luck or exopieriance with MagPro powder?

These fit and fed flawlessly from an HS 308 DBM modified for 300 WSM

NOTE:WE TAKE NO RESPONSIBILTY FOR THE USE OF THIS DATA. THE LOAD WORKED AND WAS SAFE ONLY IN THE RIFLE IT WAS SHOT IN. iT MAY NOT BE SAFE IN YOUR RIFLE. ALWAYS WORK UP TO A PUBLISHED LOAD!

Winchester new unprimed brass

Winchester Magnum rifle primers

74 grains of MagPro powder

Sierra 175gr match King

OAL 2.845"

Target. Note the rifle barrel is brand new and the group is shot from the bipod, prone with a rear bean bag.
The brass was not prepped in any way other than chamfering the neck with a hand held RCBS chamfer tool. No brass sorting was done. powder was thrown with an old RCBS powder powder thrower.
The Magpro is a ball powder and meters real well.
We pulled a bullet on a Winchester factory load. The powder looked indentical, but really who knows.
Strett_74_Grain.jpg

Celt

Hey there Celt,
MAGPRO because it is a ball powder... they have always been really temp. sensitive for me.

What I have used to acheive 3030 FPS, 175 SMK, in the 300 WSM is H4350 ( extreme )This is froma 25.5" tube!!!

I have shot .2's and .3's with this combination. If you wish I can post pics of the groups. I just shot a 3.1" group at 400 yards with it.

I feel I could get much better groups at distance but I only have a 10X scope on it now...

anyway.. fyi

[ 10-16-2003: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

[ 10-16-2003: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

WyoWhisper, great point on the temp issues and ball powder. However, Accurate is claiming the new powders like Magpro are not temp sensitive.

anyone know for sure or done testing? I know that H870 certainly is. Seems to string a fair amount too.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.