300rum or 7stw

bcd

I'm currently in the market for a nwe rifle, in eastern NC we don't have many long range shots. I currently own a rem 700bdl in 270win, but was considering a rem700 sendaro in 300rum but was told good luck trying to find one, but that I could easily get one in 7stw. Any advice?

Based on what you've stated as the intended use I see no reason why your 270win wouldn't work just fine. If your just yearning for something new, different and a little more powerful, then I'd suggest the 7STW over the 300RUM.

Lots of shooters here shoot and love the 300RUM. It is probably one of the best cartridges for tossing heavy bullets at high speeds across looong ranges.

With that said, the 7STW will is more than adequate for the job while consuming less powder, being less expensive to shoot and generating less recoil. It is also a very accurate cartridge when fired in a quality rifle.

I've been shooting a 7STW for years so maybe I'm a bit biased but it seems better suited for your intended use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Besides, once you get the buying itch again you can get another rifle in one of the RUM cartridges. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

VH

Bryan,

I just came across your email about 300 RUM or a 7mm STW. I Have a 300 RUM Sendero and a 7mm STW 700 SS DM with break. The 300 was hard to get a load to shoot to my approval and the 7mm was not much of a problem. I also have a 300WSM, 270WSM, 300SAUM, 7mm ULTRA & 7mm SAUM. I like those calibers as well. I would give the nod to the 270WSM. My son and I have killed lot's of deer with the 270WSM up to 389 yards. If you have any question just drop me a email.. Getting ready to go to Hyde County to finish the year out.

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts