Leica or Leupold

Title is a tough one, optics opinions are more varied than probably any other subject related to the shooting sports. Add to that the variation in product ranges makes broad brand to brand considerations a bit problematic. Can you give a features set or models your comparing ?

My most shot/hunted rifle has a leupold vx-6hd. Conversely I use a leica crf for work in the summer so much it's usually 2-3 batteries per summer of ranging (1500-2000 ranges per battery they say). Probably wouldn't want to do heavy dialing with my leupold, wouldn't want a 56mm objective and tall turrets of the leica prs on my sheep rifle. Give us some parameters and maybe we can give better help.

I only have experience with the older Leupold scopes, the 2.5-8 Vari-X and more recently the fist generation 3.5-10 CDS. Both have withstood, without problems, a recoil of 60 ft/lbs. The 2.5-8 was used for about 15 years prior to going up in power to the 3.5-10!

Happy with the older Leupold's…….can't speak for the newer products! memtb

I've not used any Leica scopes but any of their binos, rangefinders, or cameras I have used are excellent optically and functionally. I have a Leupold 2.5-8 that has been on my 30-06 pump Rem 7600 for 30 years. Never moved, good as day one. Back when they made them shiny and pretty! Anymore there's so many models to compare we would need more specifics for "good" advice. 😉

I realize Leupold has a tarnished reputation, but why not Leica? I've never heard anyone have trouble with any of their products.
I love their binos. I wanted an Amplus 6 but found multiple online mentions of them not holding zero to minor impacts.

My other concern is that they seem to discontinue scope lines constantly.

Last edited:
I love their binos. I wanted an Amplus 6 but found multiple online mentions of them not holding zero to minor impacts.

My other concern is that they seem to discontinue scope lines constantly.
That was the one I was looking at. Don't like the Christmas Tree BDC crap at all, the reticle is just too busy. I have HD5's, HD6's all fire dots, not a true believer with the CDS turret as bullet availability stinks (try to find a Nosler 7mm 160 grain AB, been looking for 2 years) I reload. Binoculars and range finders all Leupold.

I guess it's time for a HD6 to go on the 270 Weatherby Mag.

Thank you all
Steve

That was the one I was looking at. Don't like the Christmas Tree BDC crap at all, the reticle is just too busy. I have HD5's, HD6's all fire dots, not a true believer with the CDS turret as bullet availability stinks (try to find a Nosler 7mm 160 grain AB, been looking for 2 years) I reload. Binoculars and range finders all Leupold.

Thank you all
Steve
I was looking heavily at the 2.5-15 model and ended up with a trijicon credo 2.5-15x42. I agree on the reticle. The trijicon is much cleaner. I also like that it has sub tension adjustments for various other magnifications etched in the bottom of the view.

So far I like it, it has dialed correctly and held zero so far through light abuse (in floorboard of backseat and my son accidentally jumped onto it lol)

I was looking heavily at the 2.5-15 model and ended up with a trijicon credo 2.5-15x42. I agree on the reticle. The trijicon is much cleaner. I also like that it has sub tension adjustments for various other magnifications etched in the bottom of the view.

So far I like it, it has dialed correctly and held zero so far through light abuse (in floorboard of backseat and my son accidentally jumped onto it lol)
Trijicons are known for taking a beating case in point the Acog and Vcog.

Thank you all
Steve

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post…..but, I called Leupold gave them my data ( zero,mv,bc,approximate temps and elevations to be used at )for my handloads and had custom turrets made for my 3.5-10 CDS!

If I misunderstood you…..I apologize! memtb

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your post…..but, I called Leupold gave them my data ( zero,mv,bc,approximate temps and elevations to be used at )for my handloads and had custom turrets made for my 3.5-10 CDS!

If I misunderstood you…..I apologize! memtb
You need to stay with that exact load. I had one built around a 7mm 160 grain Nosler accubond, they are nowhere to be found for the last 2 years, what's the turret worth?