300rum, 208 A-Max, Moly coated, Slow

joel0407

I'm loading 87gn of Retumbo behind the 208gn A-Max which I have moly coated and only getting 2751fps(AVG).

83gn = 2650fps
84.5gn = 2709fps
87gn = 2751fps (No sign of pressure)

All loads over crony and all 3 shot averages with retumbo.

Max listed load is 86gn but I'm far from getting any signs of pressure. Web site "steve 8" lists from 79.3 to 96 gn for a 200gn projectile.

Rifle is a factory Remington Sendero SFII 26" barrel.

I was expecting around 3000fps for this projectile.

Should I keep pushing up the charge.

Help needed.

96 gr. sounds about right for a 200gr. projectile. Also i am almost positive that moly coated bullets require more powder to build pressure and get equal velocity being that they slide down the barrel easier.

96 gr. sounds about right for a 200gr. projectile. Also i am almost positive that moly coated bullets require more powder to build pressure and get equal velocity being that they slide down the barrel easier.

Been doing a bit of reading and getting the idea that 96 is about max and alot load up around 94 - 95.

Dont know why Hodsgon lists such a low load as max. Theres being careful but at 86 I might as well use a 308win.

Hodgdon lists 86 as Max with the Barnes XFB but lists 95.5 as max with the Nosler Accubond. I would think the A-Max is closer in profile to the AB than the XFB

I think you have say this first when posting load data nowadays.....Don't blow up your gun!

That said...here's what Quickload suggests with a COAL of 3.600.

Your current 87 grain load...Quickload suggests a muzzle velocity of 2749 fps, with peak chamber pressure of 48210 psi.

488137190_dmDob-X3.jpg

Quickload also suggests SAAMI max pressure will occur with a load of 95.0 grains of Retumbo, and a COAL of 3.600. It also suggests you should achieve a muzzle velocity of 2976 fps with your 26" barrel.

488137234_CPgGH-X3.jpg

As with any loading data, ensure you start with a lower charge and work up from there.

Hope this helps.

Oh yes...I almost forgot. That 95 grain charge may "crunch" some when seating the bullet, as it's listed as 101%, a slightly compressed load. With any luck you may very well achieve what your goals prior to getting to the max load.

The old Hodgdon data was wrong.. as as ADI (same powder) however the new Hodgdon manual online that you can DL, had the right loads listed.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.