300RUM 208 A-MAX, load,

You didn't happen to have the hoods mounted on the top of the chrono by any chance. I learned by error that you only need to mount the top hoods on your chrony when it's sunny and very bright out. They are actually a sunshade. Anymore, I just mount the four side posts so I know where the line-of-sight is. Hardly ever mount the shades on the top or the sides. Just stick in the four posts , mount it on the tripod, line it up, turn it on and start shooting. Works great that way. I don't think you'll have any problems with the Retumbo. I think it's a very forgiving powder in the 300RUM. I used to load Magnum, Mag Pro and H 1000, but retumbo is my powder of choice. I just wish it was fine like the others. It isn't the most consistant to drop in my powder measure. What size did you get your coating in? They want over $130 a pound shipped and I would think a pound of the stuff would last many lifetimes. You probably wouldn't use more than a couple of grains of the stuff to do 100 rounds. It appeared to me that it comes in 5 different sizes. I also read an article where match shooters are mixing it with alchohol and swabing it through their barrels. They claim they are geting up to 5 thousand rounds out of a barrel by doing that and coating their bullets with the stuff. Sounds like it's far superior to moly and a whole lot cleaner as well.

Last edited:
test rifle, stock rem sendero 300 rum its a couple months old.

powder-retumbo primers cci 250 brass rem trim to 2.840

bullets 208gr hornady a-max

93.5 gr-3150s and 94gr-3160-3170

no pressure signs but has alot of recoil at 94 gr,almost broke my oakleys with the scope lol i started at 92 grains and went up, but i didnt chrono those i will probably start target testing 93-94 grain loads of retumbo, my rifle has only been fired 32 times, looks like the 93.5 would be more economical for the little gain 94 produced,also it was 47 degrees out when i tested them.gun)

I didn't see over 2fps average increase going from 93.3 to 93.5. My accuracy was best with the 208's with Fed 215M, 93.3 gr. Retumbo, OAL 3.738" Average 5 round velocity with 93.3 gr.-3218fps, best 5 round group .373MOA. With 93.5 gr. 3220fps. best 5 round group was .487MOA.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.