Moly coated bullets

I'm with broz heavier the better for a 500 yrd elk load if u can load a little hot u can get it done with a 06

the only thing mechanical about shooting is cycling the action, reloading and accurizing thru machining your thinking physics velocity,drag coefficients,friction etc. You like moly and I don't .we should just agree to disagree

That does not happen in a mechanical sense . The coating is there but it's very thin over say 300 rounds fired .
I just wonder how many bullets you have moly coated and fired ?
You can't compare unknown factory coatings to pure MoS2 .
It's not suitable for every shooting purpose but used the right way it works good. In my younger days it was not uncommon to fire 300 to 400 rounds over a few nights . Before moly I would be cleaning about 6 to 8 times in that amount of shots to maintain good accuracy . After moly , clean once after I finished shooting .
u can apply physics and chemistry to apply moly I guess mechanical also if u consider pulling the trigger

u can apply physics and chemistry to apply moly I guess mechanical also if u consider pulling the trigger
No one is trying to talk you into anything sport. If you don't like it that's fine. As said before it's not suitable in all situations .
Just because it don't suit you , does not mean it don't work for someone else doing it a different way in different shooting situations .
I don't bother to use it in some rifles I rarely shoot , it would be a waste of time.

all I know is using moly is just another process that i can avoid using a little lapping compound in the bore moly won't fix any thing lapping can't fix this allows me a more versatile rifle because of one less component I have to have to get my rifle to shoot

I use moly coated hornady 40grainers in my 22-250 for praire dog hunting.shoot alot more consistant at 100 to 500 yards than anything else.it is dirty to reload but barrel cleans easely,alot fast then my fingers after loading a couple hundred rounds.I shoot a mauser with a pencil barrel,shot ten rounds and wait 5 minutes for barrel to cool then start over.Personally I love them in my 22-250 !! Have not tried them in anything else.:D

Very roughly for the 60 some cartridges I handload; soft Lead to 1000 fps, hard cast to 1600 fps, jacketed to 2600 fps, and jacketed with moly to 3600 fps.

Some of the world's best shooters use moly.
Some of the world's best shooters want nothing to do with it.

If you don't like it, sell them or trade them away.

Quite awhile ago I bought the Lyman(?) Moly coating kit, comes w/ tumbler bowl,ceramic tumbling media and powdered moly. I've used it very little. What are ya'lls opinions on it and the coating it applies?? Paul

Quite awhile ago I bought the Lyman(?) Moly coating kit, comes w/ tumbler bowl,ceramic tumbling media and powdered moly. I've used it very little. What are ya'lls opinions on it and the coating it applies?? Paul

I started with that kit.

I used it for a while with good results.
Don't use exposed lead bullets or the tub and media become contaminated and moly will not stick.

After a while I stopped using the media as it cut into the tubs and made them rough. It is also .2" in diameter and too hard to separate from the .223 bullets.
I went to Copper coated steel BBs and did magnetic separation.

Then I stopped using the vibrator and tubs.
I put everything in plastic cups, duck taped them together and threw them in the Thumblers Tumbler.

Then I stopped using the BB media, and just did direct impingement from bullet to bullet.

12 years later, that is where I am now.... I am still using the powder that came with the kit, nothing else.

Sometimes you should clean bullets with Alcohol before moly coating, and sometimes you don't need to. It is hard to tell.

Thanks, I haven't used it in a long time due to all the differtent opinions re: different bbl. problems moly coating supposedly caused. I also got the extra bowl etc. for the lead bullets; never used it. Do you actually know of any bbl. problems due to moly? One was that moisture would get under the moly and cause corrosion in the bbl. Being in S.C. where humidity is generally 70% and above I didn't want to take any chances. Paul

I personally believe that moly could trap moisture in the barrel but excess copper can also the only difference is moly is so hard to get out of your barrel and copper is much easier to clean you can delay the corosion with some kind of water displacement product I just like my barrel clear of any copper or moly after every shooting session that won't happen with moly it stays in the barrel its tough to get out doubt if you can get it all out this just my opinion

I appreciate ya'lls opinions, has anyone actually seen any damage? Saw a new borescope in "Rifle" magazine made by "Innovative Technologies" for $300, I'm going to ck. into it. Screen looks small but the view/bore looks pretty good. Almost too good. Thanks, Paul

I was going to get a bore scope then I had a smith tell me not to he said I would be scoping every thing and would to busy analyzing instead of shooting I thought it would be nice to take on a used rifle buy though .

I realize that this is an older thread but I have a question as to whether anyone has any experience with the DIY moly coatings that are applies in a tumbler. I am pondering trying this with cast bullets. All thoughts and comments are welcomed. Target calibers are 30-30, 30-40, 30-06 and 45-70 non-hunting loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.