Moly coating?

grunt0311

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with moly coating? Any information on equipment needed, where to purchase, and technical application would be very helpful. I think I can handle the rest.:D

There is a ton of info available on the process. Most of the benchrest shooters, that I am aquainted with, using coated bullets, have switched to Danzac.

I have been using moly for about 13 years. If you search the internet about moly you will find a lot of hate mail reguarding the use of moly.

I have had good results using moly on all the families larger caliber hunting rifles and really good results with my rat caliber rifles.

It is very important that you start with the proper grade of moly. I use moly purchased from Midwayusa about 13 years ago. You must use moly graded for firearm use. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but you must use the proper micron size moly.

To apply the moly, I use a small vibratory tumbler filled about half full of chrome plated BBs that you can buy at walmart or sporting good places.
I add about a quarter of a teaspoon of technical grade moly powder and put 100 to 500 copper slugs into the tumbler, put the lid on and tumble no more than 2 hours.

When the tumbling is done I put an old bath towel down and put the tumbler on the towel. You do not want to get moly on your carpet or any surface you don't want covered with moly forever. I use an old kitty litter scoop or slotted spoon to sift through the BBs and pull all my bullets out of the tumbler. Once I am sure I have all the slugs out of the tumbler I close the tumbler tight and take it away from the towel I have been dropping all of the moly'd bullets on. I then grab all four corners of the towel and moved the towel up and down to roll the bullets in the towel back and forth to remove all the excess dust on the slugs.

Once I get all that done I seperate all the bullets and return them to their boxes.

You will need to make sure your rifle barrel is clean down to steel with no copper fouling anywhere in the barrel. I then use moly bore prep purchased from midway to coat the bore so it does not take many rounds to season the bore. After all of this is done you need to make sure you shoot moly'd bullets only to keep the bore properly seasoned.

You will need to rework all of your favorite loads because the moly may change your pressures and velocities, or it may not.

I have noticed that the rifle will shoot many more rounds before accuracy starts to fall off due to a dirty bore and everything that moly is supposed to help with has happened for me.

Everybody will have their own facts and opinions on the use of moly but I believe if you use the correct products you will see an improvement.

Semper Fi

There is a ton of info available on the process. Most of the benchrest shooters, that I am aquainted with, using coated bullets, have switched to Danzac.

I have been using moly for about 13 years. If you search the internet about moly you will find a lot of hate mail reguarding the use of moly.

I have had good results using moly on all the families larger caliber hunting rifles and really good results with my rat caliber rifles.

It is very important that you start with the proper grade of moly. I use moly purchased from Midwayusa about 13 years ago. You must use moly graded for firearm use. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but you must use the proper micron size moly.

To apply the moly, I use a small vibratory tumbler filled about half full of chrome plated BBs that you can buy at walmart or sporting good places.
I add about a quarter of a teaspoon of technical grade moly powder and put 100 to 500 copper slugs into the tumbler, put the lid on and tumble no more than 2 hours.

When the tumbling is done I put an old bath towel down and put the tumbler on the towel. You do not want to get moly on your carpet or any surface you don't want covered with moly forever. I use an old kitty litter scoop or slotted spoon to sift through the BBs and pull all my bullets out of the tumbler. Once I am sure I have all the slugs out of the tumbler I close the tumbler tight and take it away from the towel I have been dropping all of the moly'd bullets on. I then grab all four corners of the towel and moved the towel up and down to roll the bullets in the towel back and forth to remove all the excess dust on the slugs.

Once I get all that done I seperate all the bullets and return them to their boxes.

You will need to make sure your rifle barrel is clean down to steel with no copper fouling anywhere in the barrel. I then use moly bore prep purchased from midway to coat the bore so it does not take many rounds to season the bore. After all of this is done you need to make sure you shoot moly'd bullets only to keep the bore properly seasoned.

You will need to rework all of your favorite loads because the moly may change your pressures and velocities, or it may not.

I have noticed that the rifle will shoot many more rounds before accuracy starts to fall off due to a dirty bore and everything that moly is supposed to help with has happened for me.

Everybody will have their own facts and opinions on the use of moly but I believe if you use the correct products you will see an improvement.

Semper Fi

Thanks for the above information. I have just retired and am gathering material and information on reloading. I did a bit of searching on the moly coating and is more than likely the way I will go. I do have a question, have you any knowledge of the hbn coating (Boron nitrade) process? thanks again, Semper Fi 0311

'Danzac' was merchandised Tungsten Disulphide (WS2), a hell of a long time ago..
It really should be referred to as WS2.

You can get it at RoseMill & it's been merchandised again & again as though difficult to get magic powder. Very much like moly(same coating process & use), but provides the benefits of moly without the issues to manage.
I've been using WS2 for 30yrs, for barrel prefouling and bullet coating. So far I know of no issues from any users. The common benefit is reduced copper fouling.

Moly can be managed well. It has been by many. But if not managed it will end your barrel before it's time(due to layering buildup). This led to it's dis-favor for anything but seasonal hunting guns.
If controlled, moly can extent barrel life a good amount, and it also reduces copper fouling, and provides for prefouling when applied as such.
WS2 does not affect barrel life better or worse, and neither will HBN as time will tell.

Melonite absolutely does increase barrel life. This is a one time treatment everyone should be considering lately.

'Danzac' was merchandised Tungsten Disulphide (WS2), a hell of a long time ago..
It really should be referred to as WS2.

You can get it at RoseMill & it's been merchandised again & again as though difficult to get magic powder. Very much like moly(same coating process & use), but provides the benefits of moly without the issues to manage.
I've been using WS2 for 30yrs, for barrel prefouling and bullet coating. So far I know of no issues from any users. The common benefit is reduced copper fouling.

Moly can be managed well. It has been by many. But if not managed it will end your barrel before it's time(due to layering buildup). This led to it's dis-favor for anything but seasonal hunting guns.
If controlled, moly can extent barrel life a good amount, and it also reduces copper fouling, and provides for prefouling when applied as such.
WS2 does not affect barrel life better or worse, and neither will HBN as time will tell.

Melonite absolutely does increase barrel life. This is a one time treatment everyone should be considering lately.
Thanks for the reply, I was looking into alternative to moly because of the mess (sometimes I am all thumbs) so the barrel life would be a bonus with the ws2. So with your of experience could I go wrong with the HBN or should I stick to your proven WS2? I have not loaded a shell yet and know I will make my mistakes, but if I can cut a few of those down from the knowledge of others, I can only be grateful. Thanks

I said: "WS2 does NOT affect barrel life better or worse".
It is just as messy as moly also, and so is HBN(you just can't see it).

You should research them a bit & decide.
I'm sticking with WS2, even once I've melonite treated.
This, because it cleans out, and it's perfect prefouling, and it does reduce copper fouling to nearly none.

Re: Moly coating my wrong approach

Once again, thanks everyone for their replies on this forum. I have read exactly 6 different articles on coating bullets, the latest was rather thorough (guide to bullet coating 6mmbr, (do not mean to advertise other sites) reading articles by a novice(me) is not very good for experience, but at least I have learned some of the terminology involved. So far I have heard back and read what works. So my question is. What has everybody used sometime in the past(( or someone you know), That has NOT worked and why. quick story I have told many times: I was shooting squirrels on a friends property out of my truck, lined scope up, took shot, blew the crap out of my mirror,(scared the crap out of me) lesson learned. Point being I have learned a lot by my mistakes, but I would like to think I have learned just as much by others. Once again I thank all.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.