300 yard rifle setup

Nishon

hey guys!
I have a Howa 1500 heavy barrel in 243 with 24 inch barrel.I have read the round robin method of ladder testing to shoot at 1000 yard with larger calibres.If i understand correctly the idea is to fire different powder charges to get the barrel to perform at its optimum with regards to barrel vibration.In other word you want to find the barrel sweet spot by getting a few shots of different powder charges landing next to each other with minimal vertical dispersion.I really hope i explained that correctly.

The ladder test is normally done initially at around 300-500 yards so that you can see on target the vertical dispersion.I really like to find out if this is the same method and distance to use to set your rifle at 300 yards/meters or is there a better approach.I would really appreciate some advise as im quite new to long range and would really like to start shooting at this distance for now.I will also use this rifle for springbuck hunting and these animals are usually shot at long distances.Im currently using the old barnes- x 90gn heads and they shoot like half inch groups at 100 yards.

It sounds like you understand the ladder test well enough. 300 yards is a good distance. One thing I did not see is your charge increments. When I have used the ladder in the past, I went up by .3 grains. Something to consider, in every rifle I have developed loads for, the most accurate data was within 3 grains or less of listed max. Instead of the ladder test, I load 5 rounds of each charge and increase by .5 with every 5 rounds. Which is an older method of load development but works better for me. Then when I find my most accurate, I move up by .1 with 5 rounds until the most accurate is seen. Below is an example of my .260 Remington work up.

5 Rounds - 44gr
5 Rounds - 44.5gr
5 Rounds - 45gr
5 Rounds - 45.5gr
5 Rounds - 46gr ******Most Accurate******
5 Rounds - 46.5gr
5 Rounds - 47gr

Now load 5 each with .1 grain increments. 46.1, 46.2, 46.3, 46.4. Record the most accurate charge, current temperature, air pressure, humidity and start wearing out barrels.

Thanks for the advise Harrison.the method you described is the same I used to set up my 30-06 except I went up .5gn increments.I'm sure the .1gn increments you suggested would be a better approach nd more accurate.

It sounds like you understand the ladder test well enough. 300 yards is a good distance. One thing I did not see is your charge increments. When I have used the ladder in the past, I went up by .3 grains. Something to consider, in every rifle I have developed loads for, the most accurate data was within 3 grains or less of listed max. Instead of the ladder test, I load 5 rounds of each charge and increase by .5 with every 5 rounds. Which is an older method of load development but works better for me. Then when I find my most accurate, I move up by .1 with 5 rounds until the most accurate is seen. Below is an example of my .260 Remington work up.

5 Rounds - 44gr
5 Rounds - 44.5gr
5 Rounds - 45gr
5 Rounds - 45.5gr
5 Rounds - 46gr ******Most Accurate******
5 Rounds - 46.5gr
5 Rounds - 47gr

Now load 5 each with .1 grain increments. 46.1, 46.2, 46.3, 46.4. Record the most accurate charge, current temperature, air pressure, humidity and start wearing out barrels.

not trying to hijack this thread but wanted more clarification on this post. In your 260 rem work up example...did you shoot that in round robin style? If not, how did you know if a group was good or bad depending on how warm the barrel was or how much fouling you had? Also, how far did you shoot that test? 100, 200 300 yardS? Thanks!

It was an all day affair. They were not shot round robin. 5 rounds then wait about 30 mins, then 5 more. The next day I did the .1 increment set. Shot at 300 yards. The only fouling in the barrel came from about 20 sighters. So far, due to the scope breaking then the gas system not working, I have about 500 rounds on the barrel and accuracy due to fouling has not been an issue. My ability and margin for error in the type of shooting I do has not shown a difference in group size. How do bench rest shooters work up a load?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.